Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cissplease
Newcomer I

Flashcards / quiz for acronyms by chapter of the official study guide?

Read chapter 1, lots of acronyms. Do any type quiz or of flash cards exist, by chapter, for the book online?

12 Replies
dcontesti
Community Champion

Unfortunately this industry has many many acronyms and a number of folks only talk in those acronyms.  I am not sure if it is still done or not, but on exams, acronyms were always spelled out (such as: Data Loss Prevention (DLP) or Business Continuity Planning (BCP), etc.)

@tldutton Can you tell us if this is still the case?

d

tldutton
ISC2 Team

ALL acronyms show the expansion first, followed by the acronym in parentheses, just like @dcontesti shared in her reply.
tldutton
ISC2 Team

Also, not all acronyms used in the cybersecurity profession are on our exams; we do a quarterly internal review/update of our “authorized” acronyms then publish a new list every December for the next year. We get inputs from our workshop volunteer members throughout the year.
cissplease
Newcomer I

Thanks all, it dawned on me I have too niche of a want. I'm making an acronyms-by-chapter of the official study guide on quizlet.

@tldutton is this the case for every question/every instance of an acronym being used? Or is the expansion only used on the first question where it appears and every subsequent question uses just the acronym? Thank you!
tldutton
ISC2 Team

@BrittneyWidmer The first time an acronym is used in the question part of the item, it is ALWAYS accompanied by its expansion; after that, you'll just see the acronym, even in the options (possible answers) 

If the first place the acronym appears is in an option (possible answer), the acronym will ALWAYS be accompanied by an expansion and in every other option it appears in.

Absolutely no need to memorize acronyms.  

wmheid
Newcomer II

I agree that the first time the acronym is used that it is spelled out.

I'm not so sure that I agree that memorizing acronyms is unnecessary.

For example: In question one it might state: Distributed Denial of Service Attack (DDOS) which would fit what you are saying.  Then in question 125 might be a question about "DDOS."  

If you don't know the acronym, then question 125 would be a challenge.  Also in the real world, acronyms are widely used in conversation.

Just my thoughts.

tldutton
ISC2 Team

@wmheid 

Every question is handled individually, which means that if an acronym occurs in 10 exam items, its expanded in all 10 items.

wmheid
Newcomer II

@tldutton 

Excellent point!

What if a question were posed such as:

What does the acronym CISSP designate?

a.  Certified Information Systems Server Professional

b.  Certified Information Systems Security Professional

c.  Certified Information Systems Software Professional

I'm just thinking that it is not a bad idea to know and understand industry standard acronyms not only for the test, but for life beyond.