Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cissplease
Viewer II

Flashcards / quiz for acronyms by chapter of the official study guide?

Read chapter 1, lots of acronyms. Do any type quiz or of flash cards exist, by chapter, for the book online?

12 Replies
tldutton
ISC2 Team

@wmheid 

We would never have a question like that but I kind of get your point.  Using your example below, our acronym would be formatted as: Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP).  We would never test your knowledge of an acronym.

While the use of acronyms is common in the cybersecurity profession, for the purpose of preparing for ANY of our exam, you do NOT need to memorize what acronyms stand for.  It's useful to know acronyms in the real world, but not for our exams.

JoePete
Advocate I

@wmheid wrote:

I'm just thinking that it is not a bad idea to know and understand industry standard acronyms not only for the test, but for life beyond.

I think it is a good policy to have the first reference expanded (thank you, @tldutton, for explaining it). It does make me wonder about the pitfalls of adaptive testing since there are a number of homonyms (MAC, DOS, DRM, SDLC, etc.). Perhaps part of the fixation with language and acronyms comes from all the test prep entities. It is an easy way of building a question (even though it is one you might never see on an actual exam): What does DDOS stand for?

To your observation, acronyms are like programming to me. If I haven't used something in a while, I need to remember (i.e., Google) it. I think that goes for everyone whether they are willing to admit it or not. It's a good thing to have to refresh yourself because language does change and expand. At the same time, however, there are some people in the industry who can be sticklers. I've been in some awkward meetings that have devolved over securitrivia. At the same time, you have to be able to communicate plainly and directly at times. If a CEO turns to you and says "Is this a problem?" You need a 15-word answer that doesn't have an acronym (other than maybe SOL). Honestly, over the years, I've felt my primary job has been "universal translator." You have to adjust your language to the situation. I'd like to think that is what distinguishes a CISSP from some of the more narrow certs. Our role is to be able to work throughout an enterprise.

tldutton
ISC2 Team

@JoePete 

I started my career in the Air Force (23 years, 1985-2008), so acronyms have been part of my daily conversations for a very long time.  Acronyms are a good shorthand for long terms; I'd rather use TCP/IP rather than spelling out the entire term every time.  You're correct about being "translators" between multiple levels of stakeholders.  I'm glad we're not evaluating exam candidates on their understanding of what a specific acronym stands for; definitely does not make for a fair question.