Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OliLue
Newcomer III

Encryption granted confidentiality and integrity?

Hi,

I found such question.

The sender encrypts a message with the recipient's public key. This ensures:

1 Integrity

2 Non-repudiation

3 Prof of origin

4 Confidentiality

I could mark more than one answer. For me it is 1 & 4.

unfortunately I got an incorrect for this question.

Do you have an idea? Clear, primar reason to use encryption is confidentiality........

12 Replies
dcontesti
Community Champion

Can we all agree that this is a poorly written question.  The author has posed a very open ended question that as written has multiple correct answers.

Source of question?

Early_Adopter
Community Champion

It’s incorrect in that in practical implementations a season key is encrypted to the recipient's public key rather than the message for performance and security.

Though conceptually the only thing it could give you is confidentiality, none of the other answers are possibilities.

Integrity will come from comparison of the message digest or hash, and non- repudiation and proof of origin(Authenticity) is from that hash being encrypted by the signer’s key.

So yes, totes - unless it’s a cryptology 101 course, and you’re trying to get the concepts of asymmetric cryptography across.

JoePete
Advocate I

@dcontesti wrote:

Can we all agree that this is a poorly written question.  The author has posed a very open ended question that as written has multiple correct answers.

The overwhelming majority of test-prep resources are written by exam prep professionals who take a line from study materials and then build a questions. Often where they fail - because they lack a thorough understanding of the subject matter - is understanding how their "distractor" incorrect answers could in fact be correct.

The standard for the actual exam is significantly higher. But how often do you hear someone complain how one confusing question tripped them up for the rest of the test? As I say, that in and of itself, is a good test. In this job you have days where you have to move on from some confusion or blunder. You have shift focus or a failure can spiral into a catastrophe.