cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jarias15
Newcomer I

Confirm my experience.

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for all the great work you do. I am writing this post because I need help from anybody that is willing to help. I am studying for my CISSP exam, and I have a decade of IT experience. I have heard that some experience are allowed for the CISSP. All I need is for someone to look at my profile and tell me if with my experience I qualify to be CISSP certified. I know I can be an associate if I do not have the required experience. But I just want to know if someone can help. I will leave my LinkedIn attached.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jefrey-arias

6 Replies
CraginS
Defender I

@jarias15 

Jeffrey,

Congratulations on your new career goal.

Now, in answer to your request:

You first!

That is, build a custom resumé or c.v. that focuses specifically on your info systems security experience.

This, of course, means you first have to read and understand the CISSP experience requirements, then reorganize your work history into activities that fit that requirement.

You may find yo do not need any of us to review your experience.

This advice is along the same lines given to job hunters: 

Keep a generic resumé handy for job fairs and surprise opportunities

BUT

When applying for a specific position research both the job requirements and the company or institution. Then prepare a customized resumé that targets the company, the industry, and that position.

Your page may be different, but I have yet to see any LinkeDin page that is an adequate resumé.

Good luck, and let us know how your own analysis goes.

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
jarias15
Newcomer I

Thank you for this great advice. This has been the greatest advise I got so far.
Kaity
Community Manager

Hi @jarias15 - you can reference this page for what qualifies as relevant work experience for the CISSP https://www.isc2.org/Certifications/CISSP/experience-requirements 

jarias15
Newcomer I

Hello Kaity,
Thanks for replying. The issue is that it says that I have to have experience in the 8 domains. But after reading online, I heard that lets say if I manage accounts on Active Directory on Windows for 5 years or more, that accounts. I just wanted to see if anybody had the skills to say, yes, with your IT support experience, if you pass the exam you will be certified, I do not want to be an associated because I was told that you are not allowed to put that on your resume until you get the certification. I hope it makes sense what I am saying.
denbesten
Community Champion

@jarias15 wrote:
... if anybody had the skills to say, ... you will be certified...

The only group that can offer such assurances is the (ISC)² endorsement team itself. Their signoff requires completing and submitting the endorsement form.  Unfortunately, this is only available after you have passed the exam in question.

Given that limitation @CraginS has the right approach.  Build your own resume that highlights the relevant experience, parenthetically noting the domains to which each experience applies.  In doing so, the answer will become clear to you.  And bonus, the annotated resume will make the eventual submission really easy. 

CraginS
Defender I

@jarias15 

You said, "The issue is that it says that I have to have experience in the 8 domains."

To clarify, you do not need experience in all 8 fomains. Rather, quoting the  page as @Kaity linked it:

"minimum of five years cumulative paid work experience in two or more of the eight domains of the CISSP CBK."

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts