Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Manix
Viewer

Can we use questions from the official CISSP Practice Tests book in other quiz apps?

I'd like to use the questions in the CISSP Practice Tests book to create quiz games in Kahoot.com. Is that legal? I would think not because of copy rights but I was wondering how other online quizzes are created.

Thanks!

6 Replies
igorf702
Viewer

Just taking the CISSP exam costs $699, so going in without full preparation could result in the need for an expensive re-take. When you self-study, there's no time limit. So you can get far more work done than if you limit yourself to group sessions and organized course work.

UPSers

CraginS
Defender I

@Manix asked,

"I'd like to use the questions in the CISSP Practice Tests book to create quiz games in Kahoot.com. Is that legal? I would think not because of copy rights but I was wondering how other online quizzes are created."

Paul,

The book is a copyrighted product of (ISC)2, so you have to deal with that aspect of intellectual property rights protection. If you create the quiz only for your own use, and clearly acknowledge the (c) material, you are probably OK.

If you make the quiz available to others, without charge, and properly note the use of (c) material, you might be OK.. that will be up to (ISC)2.

If you try to charge others to use the quiz, then I am sure (ISC()2 would have a problem with that.

Time for Amanda @amandavanceISC2 to chime in here, I think.

Craig

p.s. Understanding and implementing intellectual property (IP) rights protection is within the scope of CISSP domains, under the governance, risk, and compliance (GRC)  area.

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
denbesten
Community Champion

@Manix wrote:

I'd like to use the questions in the CISSP Practice Tests book to create quiz games in Kahoot.com. Is that legal? I would think not because of copy rights but I was wondering how other online quizzes are created.

Thanks!

Wanted to add that the relevant legal term is "fair use" or "fair dealing" (depending on

where the copyright was filed). 

Also, the process for legally using somebody else's intellectual property beyond what fair use/fair dealing allows is very simple..... get (written) permission from the rights-holder.

Manix
Viewer

Thanks for the replies all. I think it will be easiest for me to create my own questions and not worry about copyrights or anything. 

Thanks,

Paul

CISOScott
Community Champion

Another aspect to think of is this: What does the website do with the quizzes you create? Do they get to use them as they see fit? i.e. are they in the beginning stages of gathering all of these user generated quizzes and then going to sell/monetize them in the future?

Recently some US military members got into trouble because they used one of these "free" quiz generators to study for their CLASSIFIED nuclear tests. They put information into the public domain that was not supposed to be there. Their purpose was innocent but they did not think through all of the consequences of giving their company's (US Government) intellectual property to a "free" website to make quizzes. 

I tell my kids this all the time "Once you put it on the Internet you lose control over your data and who does what with it." So your purpose may be honest and innocent but remember this saying "Nothing in life is free."  The website is doing something with all of the information it is gathering. You may not be aware of that purpose yet, and may never become aware.

It might be better for you to do it the old fashioned way and create flash cards yourself on paper. Studies have shown if you write down the questions and answers you have a better chance of remembering it.

CraginS
Defender I

@wendler845966 said

"Risk management professionals find 60-70 hours of time for preparation quite adequate to clear the CISSP exam. IT professionals would need less time – 40-50 hours of study should suffice to clear the exam. ISC2 material is a must for professionals of all backgrounds."

=-=-=

Could you please cite the papers or studies that those numbers came from? I have a hard time believing them. If they are from well designed studies, then the actual backgrounds of the participants becomes an essential factor.

Thanks,

Craig

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts