Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeanpreema22
Viewer

CISSP Exam

I am planning to answer the CISSP exam before Oct 31 2022. can anyone suggest how I could start my preparation? I am a beginner in cybersecurity.

6 Replies
JoePete
Advocate I

@jeanpreema22 wrote:

I am planning to answer the CISSP exam before Oct 31 2022. can anyone suggest how I could start my preparation? I am a beginner in cybersecurity.

It was a while ago that I took the exam. My experience is obviously dated. Primarily I used two books focused on CISSP prep. One was the official CISSP study guide. The other was a little similar from another publisher. While they covered the same content, they did it in a different order and stye and I found that helpful. 

But let me start with your reference to being a "beginner" in cybersecurity. I assume you have the five years experience but maybe in a limited way. For me, my work experience was very helpful. I think one of the real challenges of the industry is pigeon-holing people into limited roles - you're a system admin, so you don't touch the network, or the DNS, etc. or heaven forbid we have you on a group recommending policy. Notwithstanding separation of duties, you can't learn security in a silo.

I took the test long before the computer adaptive version. I don't think I can offer much help there, other than my experience you had plenty of time on the traditional test. That said, you need to condition your mind to test taking. I think I gave myself a good five months or so lead time to prep. So two months may be a little tight.

denbesten
Community Champion

CISSP is not for those "new" to cybersecurity. Keep in mind that you can not actually be issued a CISSP without experience, so you might as well use the experience as part of your studying. Here is my recommended study path:

1. Attain your CC
  2. Get a job in cyber security and soak it all in for 1-2 years
  3. Attain your SSCP
  4. spend another 3 years (for a total of 4-5) in the job interacting with all your colleagues, especially those that work in domains other than your own.
  5. Spend a few months with "the books" so that you learn the terminology and fill in the missing gaps.
  6. Write the CISSP.
  7. Use the experience you gained to complete the endorsement process.

keslocum
Viewer

A candidate who doesn't have the required experience to become a CISSP may become an Associate of (ISC)² by successfully passing the CISSP examination. The Associate of (ISC)² will then have six years to earn the five years required experience.

wimremes
Contributor III

Don't.

Sic semper tyrannis.
kjoerger
Viewer II

I highly recommend completing the 1-week bootcamp (if it's in your budget) within the few weeks leading up to your exam date. 

Practicing questions as much as possible will help as well. There's several mobile apps to support this, which makes it easy and convenient to squeeze in study time throughout the day. The two I used were the CISSP - (ISC)2 Official App and CISSP Pocket Prep. What I liked most with the apps is that each question notes what pages to reference in the (ISC)2 Official study guide / book and flag questions that I had gotten wrong, which makes it easier to reference the subject/topic details for more focused study in your weaker areas. 

hdydkim
Viewer

I am going to be Security Expert