cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why not authenticate the whole packet in ESP mode?

In AH:

1. a) Transport Mode:

Entire packet Authenticated

1. b) Tunnel Mode:

Entire packet authenticated

davecomputertip_0-1662263476655.png

davecomputertip_1-1662263476619.png

In ESP:

1) Transport Mode:

Only ESPH-ESPT  authenticated

Original IP Header not authenticated.

2) Tunnel Mode:

Only ESPH-ESPT  authenticated

New IP Header not authenticated.

davecomputertip_2-1662263476626.png

davecomputertip_3-1662263476316.png

Why is this difference found in them? Is there a reason behind them? Why not authenticate all of the packet? What problem would it create?

And why is there no such thing called AH auth but there's ESP Auth? Shouldn't AH Auth data also be in the figure shown above?

Also, Is there a reason why the modes are named "Tunnel" And "Transport"?

Source:https://networklessons.com/cisco/ccie-routing-switching/ipsec-internet-protocol-security

1 Reply
JoePete
Advocate I

I think the short answer to your question is there are times when you don't want to authenticate the header (e.g., NAT). Then there are times where you want to authenticate the IP header (to ensure no tampering with source of destination).

ESP can authenticate the data, not the actual header. If your concern is just the integrity of the data, then ESP and AH are equivalent in that regard, but if you want to ensure both the header and data have not been tampered with, AH is the option.  Flip side is AH won't work across  because NAT needs to change the IP header.

I'm not sure about your question regarding why there is nothing known as "AH auth." It would be a little redundant, I suppose. Authentication Header (AH) protocol is only about authentication (inserts a hash to confirm integrity).  Encapsulated Security Protocol (ESP) can be used for either authentication, confidentiality, or both. Their function is a bit different.  Or think of it this way, ESP can take an entire packet (including an AH one), encapsulate it, apply encryption to achieve confidentiality, while also adding its own payload hash to ensure integrity. It's not one or the other. AH can even be used with ESP.