cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jaiquan21
Viewer

Advice needed - Interest in CISSP - Current MBA student

Good morning,

I am currently an MBA student emphasizing in Cybersecurity management. I have a great interest in taking my career in the Information systems security field. My goal is to become a CISO. I have only recently started in this field transferring from business management but I feel I have been picking up things quickly.

I spoke with my professor about furthering my knowledge and accreditations I should aim for. That is how I ended up here.

I would love any advice or guidance on this course, or any others that one may suggest.

Many thanks

5 Replies
MrITGus
Contributor I

Hi @Jalam,

The best advice for starting your CISSP certification journey, you will receive is right here within
(ISC)2.   For Official Study Resources and advice,  I suggest you check the following link:

Cybersecurity Certification| CISSP - Certified Information Systems Security Professional | (ISC)² (i...

Best Regards,

Gus

denbesten
Community Champion

CISSP is not for those "new" to cybersecurity. Keep in mind that you cannot actually be issued a CISSP without experience, so you might as well use the experience as part of your studying. Here is my recommended study path:

1. Attain your CC
  2. Get a job in cyber security and soak it all in for 1-2 years
  3. Attain your SSCP
  4. Spend another 3 years (for a total of 4-5) in the job interacting with all your colleagues, especially those that work in domains other than your own.
  5. Spend a few months with "the books" so that you learn the terminology and fill in the missing gaps.
  6. Write the CISSP.
  7. Use the experience you gained to complete the endorsement process.

Steve-Wilme
Advocate II

It's certainly possible to end up as a CISO even without taking the ISC2 route if you move into senior management first by completing your MBA then getting on a fast track route into management.  You need keep in mind that there will be an overlap between the skills needed to be an effective CISO and some of what your MBA will teach you.  

-----------------------------------------------------------
Steve Wilme CISSP-ISSAP, ISSMP MCIIS
RobertEng
Newcomer I

Interesting to know about that. May I ask what is CC and SSCP?
denbesten
Community Champion

@RobertEng wrote:
Interesting to know about that. May I ask what is CC and SSCP?

Links:   CC   SSCP   CISSP.