Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wmheid
Newcomer II

CCSP and Security+

I am just curious, has anyone pursued both CCSP and Security+?  If so, your thoughts on the pro's and con's please.  Is there any benefit in getting both?

12 Replies
emb021
Advocate I

Despite what CompTIA feels, I would not compare their CASP+ to the CISSP.  

I see the CASP+ as a half way to CISSP, between Sec+ and CISSP.

I agree on your point regarding CC vs Sec+.  They should be equal, but the CC doesn't yet have awareness in the marketplace, thus companies aren't yet asking for it.  That will come.

This is a great visual resource on where certs are:
https://pauljerimy.com/security-certification-roadmap/ 

He shows CASP+ below CISSP.

---
Michael Brown, CISSP, HCISPP, CISA, CISM, CGEIT, CRISC, CDPSE, GSLC, GSTRT, GLEG, GSNA, CIST, CIGE, ISSA Fellow
wmheid
Newcomer II

Thank you for that awesome visual resource!

Early_Adopter
Community Champion

CASP+ is the most CISSP like of CompTIA’s certifications. Albeit more technical/hands on and not as well regarded, but it doesn’t require any experience component - and like most of CompTIA’s offering has a practical skills based training and testing, it’s demonstrably comparable it some areas:

https://public.cyber.mil/wid/dod8140/dod-approved-8570-baseline-certifications/

CISSP is arguably much better known, and you’d surely choose it over CASP+, but it’s in the ballpark.

ISC2”’s CC isn’t anything like as useful an entry level certification as CompTIA Security+ nor is it likely to be inside the next 2-3 years. It doesn’t have any hands on training material, what is offered for free amounts to 14 hours of content, and well, it’s a loss leader for a reason.

That’s not to say it’s bad to have , it’s just if you could choose between CC and Security+ - well you switch organisations and go with Security+ - CC will only really be in the same ballpark when it’s as effective at securing roles.

As an aside I was looking at the ISC2/ IBM and Google/CompTIA routes on Coursera- and applied for ‘financial assistance’ telling them I didn’t want to pay any dollars at all, I also disclosed I could afford it but was doing some research:

“ Congratulations! You've been approved to enroll in Introduction to Cybersecurity Careers at 75% off the regular price with 6 months of course access. This discount is time sensitive, so be sure to enroll by Jun 07, 2024. The discount will be automatically applied when you check out.

In addition to financial aid, Coursera offers over 2,800 free courses. You'll get access to all of the course material, but you won't receive a certificate of completion.”

So basically you can do both IBM and google for 12 USD and month for six months then round off with CC for 50 USD AMF a year and Security+ at a third off plus whatever their dues are(mine are all very old and evergreen).

If you’re trying to break into Cybersecurity then anything you don’t spend you save and if I see a CV with Google, IBM, ISC2 and CompTIA on it it would catch my eye.

The Google course also gets you a discount on CompTIA Security+ exam post, it looks like hunting is required:

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/grant-godfrey-35b261100_note-if-you-complete-the-8-part-certificate-a...