Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dbacks5439
Newcomer I

CCSP Official Student Guide 5th Edition Knowledge Check

In CCSP Official Student Guide 5th Edition - EPUB, at the bottom of module 1 (Understanding Cloud Computing Concepts) of Chapter 1 (Cloud Concepts, Architecture and Design), there is a knowledge check regarding the building blocks of cloud computing. The correct answer contains the word 'RAW' and I'm confused as to what that is referring to. Is it perhaps a mistype and it should instead be 'RAM'? 

10 Replies
kabbashi
Newcomer I

This refers to Raw Device Mapping (RDM) which is a form of virtualization that allows a particular cloud VM to access a storage Logical Unit Number (LUN) which in turn is a dedicated portion of the overall storage capacity for use by a single VM & RDM provides the method for a VM to access it is assigned LUN. This is explained in the CBK book as part of the five IaaS storage types which are: (1) Ephemeral; (2) Raw (3) Long-term: archiving (4) Volume, (5) Object
dbacks5439
Newcomer I

I searched for Raw Device Mapping in the e-book provided for the self-paced course and it's not found anywhere in the book. Further, RAW is not mentioned in the module I specified other than the question in which one of the answers references it.

dbacks5439
Newcomer I

I'm going to submit this query to ISC2. I'll update you when I get a response.

kabbashi
Newcomer I

ISC2 explained RAW in its book "The Official ICS2 CCSP CBK Reference" 3rd Edition at the bottom of page 48 under the subtitle Storage Types: IaaS. 

dbacks5439
Newcomer I

I'm not saying you're wrong. The issue is that in the Official Student Guide, 5th Edition, in Chapter 1, Module 1, there is a question that references that without covering it at all in that module. So how would a student, like myself, be able to answer that question correctly if I don't have prior exposure to it in the chapter?

kabbashi
Newcomer I

This exam is not direct from the books. If you restrict yourself to what is explicitly stated in the official or non-official books, passing it will be questionable! CCSP exam is crafted based on how you “synthesize” information and relate to the real world of the cloud. This is called nurturing of the tacit knowledge. For instance, ISC2 clearly defined the term “RAW storage” in the official CBK book, but you still need to go deeper and get in-depth knowledge about it like any other concept in CCSP. Many who sat for this exam stated there are terms that they have not even heard about before despite their decade of experience, but they associate them to what they already know and answer them. Some they found themselves unfamiliar with many terms in the exam, so they were doubting that they are sitting for CCSP exam. To that extent this exam is tricky, tough and demanding. Simply put, it needs more than what is in the books. One of the instructors stated it beautifully as “in CCSP don’t expect to know everything, you answer what you don’t know with what you know!”.

dbacks5439
Newcomer I

Answers to questions found in course material can only be found in material not provided in the course that costs 100s of dollars. Sounds like I got fleeced. Thanks for enlightening me! I'll be sure to warn others who may want to get the CCSP. 

denbesten
Community Champion

To earn the CCSP, you also need to have 5 years of related work experience.  Much of what you will need comes from that experience.  

dbacks5439
Newcomer I

I'm not disputing that. Everything you guys are putting down, I'm picking up. I think we are all in agreement here. The core issue I have is that I guess I just expected more for the money I paid for this course. Either include more resources such as the Official Study Guide (which I had to get from Amazon) or lower the price to be more in line with what is actually offered. 

For example, @kabbashi stated "ISC2 explained RAW in its book "The Official ICS2 CCSP CBK Reference" 3rd Edition at the bottom of page 48 under the subtitle Storage Types: IaaS." That is correct. Thankfully, my company has a resource that allows me to access this book for free, so I was able to verify Kabbashi's statement, and I greatly appreciate him sharing that. But that's the problem. You ask a question in one book that can only be answered by having another book that is not included in the course. To me, it seems like this course is just a money grab. Either include all relevant resources to achieve the greatest chance of success or simply lower the price of the course.