cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dmor_11
Newcomer III

CCSP Exam

Hi All, 

After about 1.5 years off from taking and failing this exam twice, I sat for it again last Friday. In preparation, work paid for a 5 day boot camp with a 93% success rate! I went through that and also bought the new CCSP CBK 3rd edition to supplement my learning. I also did a number of official CCSP practice quizzes and was in the mid-to high 80% range. During the test I felt really good. I didn't think there were many surprises, and even the 25 sample questions didn't seem to jump out at me. Upon completion, I was again disappointed to learn I didn't pass. I was above in two domains and below in four. Actually, I did worse than in my previous attempts. Clearly, I am missing something. I am going to try and perform a gap-analysis on each domain. I figure I will take additional  remaining CCSP Official practice exam questions (30 questions each), focus on each domain, and see if they match up with my results. As a current CISSP and CISM holder, this is frustrating me. I don't need this exam, but would like to obtain and hold it. Now it's more of a challenge for me. Although, the definition of insanity is really making sense now.

17 Replies
kpearlst
Viewer II

Hello Dmor, 

Don't feel that bad....I too just failed on my first attempt and i did study...

I would like to take the exam again but i believe to really pass this exam you really have to be able to digest and to SYNTHESIZE the CCSP content.......which means this is the type of exam you can't just memorize the book and pass....you need to understand the concepts but more in what situations the concept that you are learning can be used....For example, there were questions about what best to put in an SLA...I often narrow it down to two answers but then for me it is often a toss up...and that is where i get tripped up....

There was a question and there was an answer with service level objective and Service Level Objective.....Perhaps that wasn't the right answer but i had no clue what the difference was...

So for me....i do know most of the definitions and much of the content...but i just don't know how best to snynthesize this knowledge to make sense when it comes to choosing the BEST answer......

Also i am not used to not being able to go back to a question and really mull it over....there were a number of choices i wish i had an opportunity to think about the answers but unfortunately ISC2 does not allow that....

So....if someone reading this post can offer advice on what study materials will really help in understanding the relationships between the concepts and what the questions are really asking.....that would certainly help me!!! 

JDake801
Viewer

This may be a lame idea, but sometimes its not so much that you don't know the info, but how you are thinking or understanding the question.  I say find someone who has passed the exam, sit with them and read the practice questions.  On any questions you get a different answer, have them explain to you "the why" they chose the answer and their perspective on how they understood the question....  ?  I had to take this approach on my CCIE many years ago.  Hang in there, and DON'T GIVE UP!

Gamars
Newcomer II

My study resources for my CCSP are the official study guide, the official practice test and the. CCSP CBK. Read thru the official study guide and do the practice question at the end of each chapter. It’s fine to get the answer wrong, that’s where you learn. Read thru the questions again and review the chapter again. This time find out why the option are wrong and why it’s correct. Do the same to all the questions that you didn’t get it right. Remember, doing that too fast is not the recommended. Do make use of the study guide and cbk as the resource to get the right answer. Once you are completed, do the official practice test to see if you are ready for the exam. For my case, I set the expectation to get at least 87 to consider that I understand that domain. When doing those questions, always have the habit of reading the questions carefully and having the understanding why each choice is correct or wrong. Hope this helps and good luck. Don’t give up.
Gamars
Newcomer II

That’s so true, may need to change the thinking for some security practice as you cannot do the same in a cloud environment. Good tip.
jitu786
Viewer

Hi,

Currently i am holding PMP and CISSP. no cloud experience. do you recommend I should go for CCSP.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Regards,

abhattac5
Newcomer III

Hi @jitu786  - in my opinion, it depends on your situation.  But generally speaking, I think you should go ahead and obtain a CCSP, as it would differentiate you from your peers and colleagues.

Especially if you are looking to enter into a cloud-focused role or further prove your ability to analyze cloud security in addition to your CISSP, this certification would be helpful to have.  Beyond that, it's vendor agnostic, so can be applied to any cloud environment.

With a few resources and a good study plan, the cost and time commitment is reasonable.  It took me maybe 2 months to study/pass it, and I used official resources only (books, test banks).  If you need a study plan, here is what I did to pass:

https://community.isc2.org/t5/CCSP-Study-Group/Passing-the-CCSP-My-Experience-Jun-2023/td-p/60404 

Hope that helps!

Steve-Wilme
Advocate II

As an alternative you could take the CSA CCSK exam first, which will familiarise you with the Cloud concepts and you can take online from home/work.  It's a 90 minute exam of 60 questions @ $395 for two attempts.  It's an open book exam, but don't let that deceive you, as you'll have to have read and learnt the materials before you sit the exam.  The downloadable PDFs are probably the best to study from, but you can also use the CCSK all in one book, which is okay.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Steve Wilme CISSP-ISSAP, ISSMP MCIIS
geno3541
Newcomer I

I failed the exam this past Saturday (Passed 4 Domains/Above Proficiency/Failed 2 - Below Proficiency) and it came to my attention during the exam the 3rd Edition resources would not facilitate the necessary information to pass this exam. So, today I ordered the CCSP CBK 4th Edition & CCSP '1000 Questions' practice test/exam guide. Rescheduling 30days from now as per regulations. Would you suggest any other resources as I know your attempting the exam again. Thank you.