Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dmor_11
Newcomer III

CCSP Attempt

Anyone getting ready to tackle this exam?

I'm looking at mid-February for my 3rd and final attempt. I'm waiting for my CCSP All-in-one from Daniel Carter. I've read all the other books and hope this might fill some gaps I'm missing. I also need to change my mindset and approach.

26 Replies
CloudNoob
Newcomer II

Sorry to hear you failed. What other studying materials are you referring to for preparation? thanks, 

jkirkland
Newcomer I

I took the CCSP exam on Wednesday.  When I submitted the last question, I was not optimistic about the outcome.  My brain was cooked.  It is a difficult test.  In some ways the CCSP exam seemed more difficult than CISSP, but I passed.

I studied for 3 weeks.  I used the the ISC2 self-paced training and crunched through it in about 2 weeks.  I also used the Sybex official study guide and practice questions. 

I had to read some of the questions 8 or 9 times.  So many of the questions did not appear to have wrong answers.  I really had to rely on judgment and experience rather than memorization.

Good luck!

PBrent
Viewer III

Glad to hear you passed. I did my CISSP over ten year ago, now thinking of starting to get CCSP, but it seems daunting. Can you tell me more about your study materials? 

jkirkland
Newcomer I

I was disappointed the ICS2 self-paced training.  The videos mostly consisted of the same presenter reading off of queue cards. More diagrams and visual content could have been helpful to the learning experience considering the training package was $750. The free flashcards from ISC2 were not helpful either.  I chose the ISC2 training package because completion gives a current CISSP 40 CPE credits.  I needed additional resources and so I bought the two books and also studied resources from web sites like iso.org, owasp.org and wikipedia.org.

The CISSP training course I did through Kaplan IT Training (now CyberVista) in 2018 was much better, but I don't know much about their CCSP training package.

Textbook
Newcomer I

I took it yesterday and passed. Best advise I can give is slow down when you read the questions. I literally would mouth the questions like I was reading out loud to slow myself down (I am normally a really fast test taker). It is a beast of a test and like any other test lots of distractions in each question. As my CISSP instructor “Dallas Bishoff” said years ago chose the “most best” answer.

Best of luck
133r
Viewer II

Hi Dmor_11,

I am in the same predicament as you....

Have you since passed the exam.

Today was my 4th attempt and I fail again.

Has anyone here passed this already?

I have journeyed this certification from the 2nd Edition to the 3rd Edition of the CCSP.

To be honest, I am quite disappointed on the outcome.

I have used both SSCP and CISSP ISC2 official materials so far to obtain the certifications.

The CBKs are well written and explained and the application are well guided too.

For CCSP, I did the same.

But I end up having the same results - Failing.

For those who has passed, could you advice?

Thanks in advance.

Lisacks
Newcomer I

Hi -- hoping you pass --  third time is the charm!  I've heard the CCSP is especially hard, so kudos to you for sticking it out,  I am getting ready to take the CCSP in February as well.  I find the ISC2 books to be somewhat vague.  The CCSP All-in-One might be the book that gets you through.  Reading your post reminds me that I used the All-in-Ones to get through the CISSP, so maybe I'll get that book too.  

Don't give up -- it takes a lot of courage and drive to get through these exams, and the CCSP is a known tough one.  

When you get your All-in-One, plan to get through a chapter each week.  If you don't get 80+ on the quiz at the end of the chapter, review weak areas until you are confident before moving to the next chapter.  When you finish the book, start taking practice exams and reread any chapters you miss questions on.  This was my technique to get through the CISSP in 2011.  

Having a solid study schedule helps.  If you work full time, try to study early in the morning before work -- there are less distractions and you aren't tired yet.  

Since passing these tests has nothing to do with luck, I won't wish you good luck -- but I will wish you concentrated study and a successful third try in February!

Lisacks
Newcomer I

Spooked is how I'm feeling too. I read through the materials and think I have it nailed, then take the quizzes and have to restart the chapter.  I want to know I'm preparing for this exam effectively.  Thinking the All-in-One is next on the list for review.  Two years ago at a conference, a Cloud Security Engineer told me that he found the CCSP to be a tough exam. Preparation and study are the only ways to address feeling spooked.  Keep your chin up and keep going.  

Lisacks
Newcomer I

Check your online library for your degree program -- you might find all sorts of online materials available before you graduate.  Sometimes access to these resources is kept for a while after graduation.  Good luck with your MS degree.  

Lisacks
Newcomer I

Egads, this has been my gut feeling as I review the ISC2 materials.  Getting the All-in-One today.  Thank you for sharing this experience.  It's awful to prepare so much like you did and still fail.  Don't despair, try to take it again.  A Cloud Security Engineer said he found the CCSP to be extremely difficult to pass, so we are all in good company.