Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Babsarena
Newcomer I

Did you pay the $50 fee after passing the CC exam

Hello, I passed my CC exam and found out I'd have to pay $50 annual fee to actually be a member of isc2, so people who have passed their exam, did you guys pay the $50 fee or there's also a coupon for that?

15 Replies
Early_Adopter
Community Champion

"Freedom isn't free..." To quote the movie Team America... In this spirit here's some meandering thoughts.

The actual 50 dollar AMF is listed as point four, sorry there isn't a coupon, which is probably reasonable:

One Million Certified in Cybersecurity – Free (ISC)2 Certification Exams (isc2.org)

It should be noted that this is a Per-User Per-Year (PUPY) commitment as long as you would like the entry level certification. this is at a lower rate than that required for one of the more recognized/advanced/useful certifications ISC2 provide, and the same rate as for associate status after passing a more challenging exam, however once you have it membership is locked in, meaning it might be a good way to have ISC2 membership without paying 125 USD PUPY. This might be seen as hard doing by other non-members, it doesn't seem that as a CISSP I necessarily get any extra for the 75 USD on top, but in any case it's a slam dunk for something like congress:

(ISC)² Security Congress 2023 (isc2.org)

I'd hasten to add that ISC2 membership is a steal compared it IAPP 275 USD PUPY, and a little but cheaper than ISACA's headline rate of 144 USD (but they have a deal on right now for $72.50* (standard, 1-year rate: US$145). ALso both orgs let you maintain certifications separately - it's included with IAPP membership, with ISACA - well like Pokemon, if you gotta catch 'em all it can cost you - (Membership is good in all cases):

What are all of the possible costs associated with becoming CISA / CISM / CGEIT / CRISC/ CDPSE certi...

So right now, I think if you've done the course, spent the time and think CC will help you gain employment it's a pretty good deal and you should pay the fifty bucks, trust me in the balance it's a good deal for a years' worth - if it doesn't help you can just stop it after.

It's almost certain right now that CC is not as good as CompTIA Security+ for its utility to job seekers, and if money wasn't an object to you, and you're going for a first job in infosec/cybersecurity I'd advise you go for that ASAP, you've the aptitude and having both would look good.

One last point if you are a talented hacker then OSCP is a good way to prove this to an employer, however the training is excellent, and the exam is a real-world Simulation:

Information Security Training & Certifications | OffSec

Sohaib
Viewer II

Yes after that you will receive certificate
ericgeater
Community Champion

ISSA membership, which I consider quite valuable, is $100 per year.

There's no certifications to attain with ISSA.

Congratulations* on passing a free industry-supported, accredited cybersecurity exam.

* hint

-----------
A claim is as good as its veracity.
mjspy
Viewer III

Does this mean you have to pay $50 before you can get your certificate? Pardon for my newbidity

JoePete
Advocate I

@mjspy wrote:

Does this mean you have to pay $50 before you can get your certificate? Pardon for my newbidity

I suspect it does. These questions are better directed at customer support:
https://www.isc2.org/Contact-Us#accordion-ec0be5accd8a4a36a5dbbcd3adb5307b

But as a practical matter, if you passed the exam, you can always put on an application/resume "Passed CC exam." No one can deny you that factual statement. You might not be "certified" until you pay the AMF of $50. But functionally it's not like there is a huge difference between passing the exam and being a CC, at least in the first year. In that regard though, bear in mind that as a CC you need to earn an average of 15 CPEs per year to maintain your certification. One of the things you do get for $50 is access to CPEs through the (ISC)2 as a member.

What you are likely going to find is $50 is pretty cheap compared to other memberships you will pick up along the way, cost of conferences, software, hardware, other tools of the trade, books, subscriptions, etc. Something to think about/look for with an employer - do they have a liberal professional development account.

Early_Adopter
Community Champion

@mjspy

Yes it does, step 4 is to pay the AMF.

https://www.isc2.org/1mcc

There’s a few issues I see with CC I’ve waxed lyrical on, however I do still think that it represents good value at 50 USD.
mjspy
Viewer III

Yeah makes sense and for what you get for an annual $50 is not so bad to say the least.

Thanks for this thorough explanation! Big help!

denbesten
Community Champion

There are three training bundles available for the CC.  If you purchased the $199 or $804 training bundle, they come with the first-year AMF free.  If you "purchased" the $0 training bundle, it requires you to pay the AMF in the first year.  This is explained in this link.

Early_Adopter
Community Champion

That’s very helpful. Do you know if a candidate that fails the free exam can then purchase the 199 USD option? It might be a more economical path for some folk that need to retake.