Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mdchowdhury
Viewer II

A few techniques for CC exam

Yesterday, I passed my CC exam on the first attempt. Very happy to see that success. Before the exam, I was very panicky. Moreover, it is holiday time. So, I cannot make a good preparation. Still, I passed. I just want to share a few experiences with my friends here. 

1. Before sitting for the exam, I read articles who passed or failed the exam. Lots of candidates said it is a bit tough exam. You must need memberships from some paid courses. 

To be honest, it is not true. One month before my exam, I ordered a book from Amazon https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/1265203814/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And finally last week, I did some study. That was all. 

2. I have to acknowledge that in the CC-exam, questions are tricky. If you read only a few times and answer the question, you will likely give the wrong answer. I would recommend you to read the question again and again. Eliminate non-relevant answers, first. Now, if you have only two options (answers) available, use your knowledge precioulsy to find out what is the right answer. 

3. They ask a couple of questions from networking. Ports and protocols have to be at fingernails. You must remember them very well. However, they will not ask you, what is the port number of DNS. Rather, they will give you a scenario-based question. However, I did not feel it was too tough. 

4. When I finished my exam, I still had 65 minutes left and answered a total of 100 out of 100 questions. Don't worry about time. It is sufficient to write this exam. At Pearson Center, they will give you a piece of plastic paper and a marker for the draft. Use these two things often. If you see any question that is making you perplexed, draw it on paper, analyse the situation and answer. 

5. The networking chapter is very big and I believe, I did a really good study of this chapter. However, from the other chapters, must try to remember the branches of securities, and assessment processes. Again, they will not ask you directly "What is the name of that branch of security". Rather, adding a couple of lines will make it a big question. As a result, you might get confused easily. However, just look for a keyword, first. Eliminate all other words and condense the question. And, now think. I am sure you will find the answer right away. 

6. Lastly, you don't need to buy any paid course or lots of materials. It's up to you how you wanna prepare yourself. There are no demerits to getting materials and resources for exams. It will help you to make a solid foundation for CC. However, if you're on a tight schedule, must read this book and practice. You must try the online practice test provided by ISC2. This is very important. It will help you to catch their question style. In the book I referred to, they have a practice test on each chapter. Practice them very well. Do not guess. I can guarantee you, it will not be able to bring success. Rather, you need to know exactly what they are asking and find the answer exactly from your storage (knowledge).

Good luck!

11 Replies
supilath
Newcomer II

mdchowdhury, Congrats for your CC win. Curious to learn, is this your first Infosec certification or you experienced in this space?
And how long it took to prepare for the exam?

Sunil Pilathottathil SAFe Practitioner, TOGAF, ASEP, SABSA-SCF, CISSP-ISSEP, CPISI, CIPT, DCPLA, CCSP, CISSP, CGRC, CISA, CISM

Perpetual Learner..!
ReginaSBD
Viewer

Thank you for the tips. I take the exam next month.

morgreen25
Viewer II

Some other helpful links: requires Linkedin Learning account (check if your public library offers free LinkedIn learning accounts to library card holders) 

https://www.linkedin.com/learning/cert-prep-isc2-certified-in-cybersecurity-cc/isc-2-code-of-ethics-...

https://www.linkedin.com/learning/practice-exam-1-for-isc2-certified-in-cybersecurity-cc/about-the-p...

bigbmxc
Newcomer I

Thanks for including the 2nd source regarding the Practice Exams! 

I was looking at CC Practice Exams through Udemy and will give this a shot first.

-Brandon 
CompTIA ITF+ & A+

morgreen25
Viewer II

You're welcome! Hope it helps. The exam is similar to the style of the practice exams. If you do well with those, you should do well with the exam. The study materials follow the same style as well. Check out YouTube too some creators post study materials they created to help others after already passing the exam.

Deepika
Viewer II

Thanks a lot.Is the exam adaptive? Can we go back to previous question?

Lordy
Viewer

Hi, I just sat the exam yesterday, you cannot go back once you answer a question 🙂

Stephenbenz
Viewer III

Thanks alot for the free tips. Many thanks 😊 

Stephenbenz
Viewer III

Thank you 😊