Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aymanababseh
Viewer

what comes after CC for career shift from telecom to CS?

good day!

I have finished studying for CC and am waiting for its exam later this month, but to make my story short, I am seriously thinking of shifting careers from telecom (mobile networks Opt.) to CS but do not want to stuck in the technical swamp thus I was thinking of bridging the gap by jumping to managing CS projects since I have PMP certificate and have studied Agile, scrum, and other lean methodologies that are becoming the pillars of IT PM.

Back to my question here,

what would be the next logical step? CCSP, other CS certificates with CS\management blend?

your support is appreciated.   

1 Reply
JoePete
Advocate I

@Aymanababseh wrote:

I was thinking of bridging the gap by jumping to managing CS projects since I have PMP certificate and have studied Agile, scrum, and other lean methodologies that are becoming the pillars of IT PM.

I think you are right that Agile and its many derivatives are becoming (have become) common in IT and development. If your interest and talent lie in managing projects, I'd suggest you put on your radar some change management certification as well. There's a pretty wide interpretation of change management out there. I think the change management groups themselves emphasize the human factors much more than the technical ones (which you sometimes get from project-management, security, and other groups), and I find that an important distinction. Good communication and people management is critical in many of our roles. Getting the job done is more than building a new product or process. It's helping people adopt it.

The CC is still pretty new. I'm not sure how companies are viewing it. But if you want to build your basic security resume, something like the Security+ is pretty established alongside the SSCP. Still, it sounds like you lean more toward big picture thinking. In that case maybe a governance related cert - i.e., CGRC - would fit. The CCSP is an interesting choice, but from what I have observed, cloud-related jobs much more emphasize specific environment credentials and experience (e.g., AWS, Azure) than broader cloud security certs.