Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding Associate of (ISC)2 Status

Hi ,
I want to give CISSP exam in the coming month of August before registering want to understand it more clearly. I will be completing 4 years of experience working in security domain next month. I understand that I lack 1 year of experience to gain the CISSP certification. On passing the exam I will be an associate of (ISC)2.
My question is that as I only lack one year of experience do I will still have to meet CPE requirements for next 3 years or after fullfilling CPE credit Requirement for an year and paying AMF for an year , I can apply for endorsement as then I will be having my required years of experience for endorsement?
1 Reply
AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

@yaminisingh912 wrote:
Hi ,
I want to give CISSP exam in the coming month of August before registering want to understand it more clearly. I will be completing 4 years of experience working in security domain next month. I understand that I lack 1 year of experience to gain the CISSP certification.

Might you qualify for a 1-year experience waiver meaning 4 years would be enough? Check here for details.

On passing the exam I will be an associate of (ISC)2.

Only if you select that option when you book the exam with Pearson VUE. If you don't you'll need to go through the endorsement process after passing the exam and apply for Associate status at that point.

My question is that as I only lack one year of experience do I will still have to meet CPE requirements for next 3 years or after fullfilling CPE credit Requirement for an year and paying AMF for an year , I can apply for endorsement as then I will be having my required years of experience for endorsement?

Associate status lasts for up to N+1 years where N is the number of years of experience required to earn the full certification. For the CISSP the Associate status lasts for up to 6 years (5+1). However, to maintain your status you need to submit 15 CPEs each year and pay a $50 annual maintenance fee (no such thing as the 3-year cycle for Associates).

You are correct in saying that you should only need to maintain your Associate status for 1 year at which point you should have enough experience to go through the endorsement process and apply to become a CISSP.

Check the CISSP exam outline, the CPE Handbook and the AMF overview page for details.