cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mitchell
Newcomer II

SSCP combining with associate of (ISC2)

Dear reader,

Right now I am an associate of (ISC2). In a few months, I got enough work experience to start the endorsed process. If all things go well I get endorsed and become SSCP title holder.

I want  to take upon the CISSP exam after I become SSCP title holder, however I don't have enough work experience for CISSP. Is it possible to be a SSCP, and again become an associate of (ISC2) for the CISSP track?

Thanks in advance.

16 Replies
Early_Adopter
Community Champion

I think that mechanism being there is fine, sure you can do it, utility is to put it on your CV (which is probably the most sensible driver for someone starting out in their career )it just doesn’t make sense in English, let alone logical sense. After all you are certified member, why would you need the on ramp? I can’t see any good reason to do it beyond maybe personal goal setting. 

If you consider the AMFs now, plus the CPE burden then it’s got cost to maintain in time and money for each year. The new AMF fees remove the cost component of this,

I haven’t looked into voting rights for associates, but if someone was certified anyway it’s moot.

Now cross skillling/ new talent is a good thing, but I don’t really see the associate helping with that once someone certified, and allowing members to call out which exam or multiple exams would chip away the value of the experience bases component, and the uniqueness of this person is starting out would be lost if lots of people started it.

Probably one for the board to consider tightening up, I’d say decouple the title from the process would be the way to go.

Mitchell
Newcomer II

I'd like to thank you all for assisting me, in this matter. Now I know I can combine both member status as associate status.

amandavanceISC2

@Early_Adopter No, if they are a certified member holding the CISSP, then that is their designation. The Associate of (ISC)² is a completely separate status showing they passed an (ISC)² exam but do not quite have the experience needed to hold the full certification. If someone were to list CISSP and Associate of (ISC)² on their CV when they are really only a CISSP, this is a false claim as they only hold the CISSP, not the Associate of (ISC)² status. 

Best, 

Amanda

Early_Adopter
Community Champion

@amandavanceISC2 I’m glad you agree with me. Could I please ask that ISC2 clarify that in the FAQ that you can anly have one designation, but the that Associate of ISC2 mechinsm can still be used, should someone with a certification wish to, but they would not be designated as an Associate of ISC2? 

AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

I think there is some miscommunication going on here!

@amandavanceISC2 - For clarity's sake, so we can hopefully put this question to bed once and for all, and using Mitchell's scenario as an example:

If Mitchell completes the endorsement process and becomes certified as an SSCP, if he then passes the CISSP exam and opts for Associate status in order to be granted 6 years to gain the experience for the CISSP endorsement, what is the correct way for him to denote his status please?

Is it:

a) SSCP, Associate of ISC2
b) SSCP
c) Associate of ISC2
d) Something else!

amandavanceISC2

If someone holds the CISSP, they can put CISSP on their CV. If they then go take the CSSLP exam and don't quite have the experience, they can become an Associate of (ISC)² and also list that on their CV. You may not claim to hold the CSSLP at all, however, you can list Associate of (ISC)² working towards the CSSLP so they can understand the distinction. However, if someone is just a CISSP, they would not put Associate of (ISC)² anywhere on their CV as they are a CISSP, not an Associate of (ISC)². 

Best,

Amanda

Early_Adopter
Community Champion

Okay, I’m going for a nice lie down... sorry for any confusion caused.