cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lukeoconnor
Newcomer I

Expired CISSP and starting again

Hi Everyone, 

I passed CISSP in 2006 and let it expire in 2010, as I was not using it. I now have CISM and CRISC and would like to get CISSP once again. 

I seem to recall reading somewhere a few years back that if I pass the CISSP exam in say 2020 then I will need to pay the AMFs for all the intervening years where I was an expired CISSP (from 2011 to 2019). That's expensive!

I cannot find this information anywhere on the ISC2 website and I am hoping that policy has been dropped. 

Can anyone confirm? Thanks

best regards,

Luke O'Connor, PhD (Crypto), CISM, CRISC

8 Replies
dcontesti
Community Champion

Luke,

Going to ask either @amandavanceISC2 or @tonyshiver to chime in on this one......but I would say that you DO NOT have to pay back fees however you will most likely receive a new member number.

I have been certified for over 25 years and do not remember anything like this.  Anyone else?

d

AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

There is a policy that governs this - ironically it requires a member login to read it!

https://www.isc2.org/policies-procedures/member-policies?membercontent=true#accordion-e9d54c2afbdf4c...

In addition to the "missing" AMFs there's also a potential $600 reinstatement fee that might need to be paid, although the policy doesn't seem to reference your particular scenario so I'm not sure how applicable it is.

My advice would be to contact Member Services and ask them to confirm what any dues might be for your specific situation.

lukeoconnor
Newcomer I

Thanks, well I do remember such clue but I trust I was hallucinating back then!

Luke

lukeoconnor
Newcomer I

Thanks Alec, I can read that policy and it seems to apply to reapplying with 90 days after being terminated and perhaps does not apply to do so 5 or 10 years after termination. 

Luke

tonyshiver
Contributor II

@lukeoconnor Members who want to retest to regain certification after termination would owe outstanding AMFs for their terminated certifications only.  No AMFs would be due for the time that elapsed between their terminated certification and the new one.  

So, let's say you pass your CISSP exam and reinstate in 2020.  You will not owe AMFs from when your CISSP terminated in 2010 to 2020. But, you could owe AMFs if any are outstanding from your now-terminated certification.

One of our Member Support Coordinators can tell you if you have any outstanding AMFs.  

https://www.isc2.org/Contact-Us

Tony Shiver

Manager, Member Services

For questions or issues related to candidate/member services, please contact: https://www.isc2.org/Contact-Us.
lukeoconnor
Newcomer I

Well thank you Tony and that is good news financially for recertifications. I will send a query to Member Support Coordinators to determine if there are any outstanding fees. 

best regards, 

Luke O'Connor 

TrickyDicky
Contributor II

The "logical" approach is that you owe 1 years AMFs (back then the AMFs were paid in arrears) because you would have been entitled to use the CISSP designation for the remainder of the year. 

After the year, you would no longer have been entitled to represent yourself as CISSP, and therefore wouldn't have owed anything to (ISC)2. 

Seeing as you resat (almost as a new candidate) you would now be required to pay AMFs (up front), and would again be entitled to use the CISSP marque (and pay AMFs for as long as you remained qualified (i.e. CPEs) to do so).

Hope this helps

lukeoconnor
Newcomer I

Thanks TD, and I hope the logical approach prevails - best, Luke