cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JamToast
Viewer

Experience requirements for certifications

Hi,

I’m looking for some information on what sort of value my previous experience would provide when looking into the ISC2 certifications, as I’m looking into my next certificate with an eye to moving into an infosec job

My previous job was titled as a support role, but it involved a number of elements of cyber security / analyst work.

I would deal with cases daily where a persons account had been hacked and taken over, sometimes by friends/family due to a dispute, sometimes it was ‘hackers’ using the accounts as bases to spam from, sometimes to be sold etc. These cases involved investigating access logs, activity logs, account changes, differentiating between the 'hackers' and 'domestic' incidents to add the 'hacker' ips to block lists to prevent future incidents, performing ownership verification via ID submissions and payment logs, going through antivirus setup/malware removal, and providing additional security advice and 2FA setup instructions once recovered. I also investigated payment fraud, phishing attempts, and exploitation of the companies services by users.

As I haven’t done the training yet, I’m not fully aware of what different domains these tasks may fall under. I was in the job for 11 years, until dec 2018, and performed the tasks for approx the last 8-9 years there. Currently I’m working in a sales environment. I have a security+ certificate, so that would already give me 1 year anyways, but would this experience help me at all with the remaining 4 years requirement?

Thanks in advance for your expertise.

2 Replies
askripnikov
Newcomer II

Hi JamToast

Which certification depends on which role you're seeking in InfoSec. There'are a lot of them...

Your experience more suitable for IH/IR/DFI

CISSP is more managerial type of certification:

"Earning the CISSP proves you have what it takes to effectively design, implement and manage a best-in-class cybersecurity program." https://www.isc2.org/Certifications/CISSP  

I'd say your experience fits in Domain 7 - Security Operations and maybe domain 5 - Identity and Access Management (IAM)...

alikazak
Viewer

Hi @JamToast 

I have similar experiences as your friend's in Payment Fraud. I also have Security+ and CySA+ certs from CompTIA and want to become a CISSP to increase my chances to get a job in information security as it is the gold standard in the field. However, I am not sure if my experiences qualify to get the full CISSP cert. I know I can always become an Associate of ISC2, but honestly I don't want to go through all those intense exam preparation and endorsement process only to get the Associate certification. 

@amandavanceISC2

In my case, I have 3.5 years of fraud analyst experience of which in the last 1 year, I also took over some responsibility in information security tasks, such as acting as the cryptographic key manager, helping with PCI DSS audits. I could really get an ISC2 moderator's opinion on whether my experiences would qualify for CISSP. I put my job description and my Linkedin profile below for your reference. Really appreciate your opinions. Thanks in advance.

Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/alikazak/

Job description: "monitoring, analyzing and investigating payment fraud both for card issuers and acquirers (merchants). This includes both physical and e-commerce transactions. Investigation involves evaluating different data points such as authentication methods, eg. PINs, 3DS OTPs, EMV-chip/magnetic stripe, historical transaction data, time, location, amount, cardholder profile etc. Write and review fraud detection rules according to new fraud trends and try to reduce false-positives. Managing fraud cases from start to finish, communicating with relevant parties, banks, payment networks (MC or Visa), ensure smooth overall operations"

Best regards. Stay safe.