cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ColinF
Viewer

CISSP - Does education credential that is not a degree count as experience

Hello,

I am new here and would like input from this community that has been helpful so far from just browsing. I decided to join as I do have further questions that I cannot locate.

My Background is as a Pre-Sales Engineer (Four and a half years) in two telecoms companies. Relevant experience I could add is designing solutions for customers regarding Palo Alto and Juniper SRX firewalls (On and off Premises). I satisfy the 1 year rule requirement with my 4 year degree.

My question is that I have a post graduate diploma over two years part time in computing and cyber security while working full time? Would ISC2 consider taking this into account regarding both hours of classes and work done over the two years? 

The subjects covered lend directly to what is being looked for but I am not hopeful as ISC2 seem to only consider work experience and do not seem to consider a directly applicable Postgraduate diploma with many hours put into it.

I must also note that I originally intended to take this course as a masters degree course, I got through close to the end of the Masters with most of my dissertation done but had to pull out early in the end unfortunately and was awarded with the Postgraduate diploma in Computing and cyber security.

I hope this is detailed enough and I appreciate any help on this subject.

Thanks very much!

2 Replies
denbesten
Community Champion

Here is the official rule (emphasis mine):

Candidates must have a minimum of five years cumulative paid work experience in two or more of the eight domains of the CISSP CBK. Earning a four-year college degree or regional equivalent or an additional credential from the (ISC)² approved list will satisfy one year of the required experience. Education credit will only satisfy one year of experience.

ColinF
Viewer

@denbesten  Thanks for this detail. I appreciate the response. More work for me to push on with :)!