cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AndreaMoore
Community Manager

Insight needed from Military/Veterans members of ISC2

Hello, 

I would like to write a blog (could be a series of blogs) to help those in the military or veterans transitioning into the cybersecurity industry. What did you learn when you went through the process? What do you wish you knew at the time that you know now?

For example, we have people in the U.S. who want to use their COOL program funding but don't know where to start, etc. 

If you are willing to work with me on this, please comment here (or private message me if you prefer anonymity) and I can reach out to learn more about your experiences. I understand there will be different experiences for those in different countries globally; so, I am interested in hearing from a variety of backgrounds, etc. 

For more information regarding Veteran Benefits, read this link: https://www.isc2.org/Training/US-Government#accordion-75568d159f074e9cb07dbfb3ddd9441a

Thanks in advance as I'm hoping this benefits others in the future as we aim to reduce the global workforce gap in cybersecurity and encourage others to join the profession.

ISC2 Community Manager
14 Replies
Beads
Advocate I

Retired military but had a much cooler combat in the service, nothing to do with technology outside of using radios.

- B/Eads

CISSPer
Newcomer I

@AndreaMoore  - I am open to assisting in this endeavor.  My military career was nothing to do with Security, but I think I can provide insight into that sort of transition.

AndreaMoore
Community Manager

@CISSPer ANY military career will work. I want this to be inclusive of a variety of stories and how people transitioned into cybersecurity. Your story may resonate with someone who is considering cyber but is thinking 'my military career has nothing to do with security, where do I begin?' 

I've had a few people private message me so feel free for anyone reading this to do that if they prefer instead of posting publicly. I'm excited to hear your stories and help others who are looking for advice. 

Thanks so much!

ISC2 Community Manager
johnsoro
Viewer II

I am willing to assist, if I can. Let me know how you'd like to proceed.

Norake
Viewer II

I can help you out on this.

timinnc
Viewer

Hi Andrea, I'll be happy to discuss. Thank you!

AndreaMoore
Community Manager

You all are awesome! Catching up after Thanksgiving week. I'll be reaching out soon to those who volunteered/reached out here and via private message. I look forward to hearing your stories.

Thanks again!

ISC2 Community Manager
WVBC23-BNetSec
Newcomer I

I am a former US Army Nurse and have an interesting path to Cybersecurity. Please contact me at https://www.linkedin.com/in/marylynharris

AndreaMoore
Community Manager

I'm catching back up on this project.

I'm working on a blog to publish around Veterans Day (U.S.). I have sent an email to each person who expressed interest. Please look for an email in your inbox with questions to respond to from our blog email. 

Thank you again for your interest and willingness to support your fellow members. 

ISC2 Community Manager