cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

The gaps that remain in our cyber security

Hi All

About one incident of malicious cyber activity is reported to Australian law enforcement every six minutes.

The Federal Government’s annual cyber threat report, released in late 2023, noted that malicious cyber activity continues to pose a risk to Australia’s security and prosperity.

In fact, nearly 94,000 reports were made to law enforcement, which is about one incident being reported every six minutes.

From scam emails and hacks of personal medical information to attacks on transport and energy systems, we are all exposed and vulnerable – either directly or indirectly.

Australia’s critical infrastructure is increasingly interconnected and interdependent in its operations, and that connectivity creates vulnerabilities that cascade throughout society if proper safeguards are not put in place. Those safeguards can only come through a better shared understanding of the threats Australia faces and how they can be overcome.

https://the-riotact.com/the-gaps-that-remain-in-our-cyber-security/752301#:~:text=Australia%20has%20...

Regards

Caute_Cautim

1 Reply
JoePete
Advocate I

@Caute_cautim thanks, as always for curating the snippets of security that you do. Here in the US, the numbers are different but the picture painted is the same. I was in a meeting today with a former employer, and one of the new senior managers started making light of how he had to take our security-awareness training. There was a good laugh around the table about how employees dread such things.

It struck me that if the topic were "harassment,"* "inclusive language," or even "sustainability," no one would have dared snicker at such a thing. Yet, if you run the numbers, threats to our information systems likely dwarf those issues as workplace threats in terms of dollars and people impacted.

While some of this might reflect the shortcomings of new management, I do think the core issue is institutional lip-service paid to security.

*Note: (ISC)2 filters altered, without notice, my original phrasing of this term. Really, (ISC)2? Not only is there an ethical issue to changing people's words but has counsel signed off on this? Such monitoring and altering opens enormous liability. You're essentially moving being a forum provider to being a publisher of content.