Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Early_Adopter
Community Champion

New AI Governance Certification from IAPP

Well now, it transpires the IAPP is branching of into AI Governance with a shiny new Certification that meets a genuine need.

Beaten to the punch by ISACA on the Certified Data Privacy Solutions Engineer (CDPSE), they doubled down and will release the Artificial Intelligence Governance Professional (AIGP) soon, returning the favor.

I'm thinking that this certification will address needs around data governance, responsible data use and ingestion of information to Gen AI (and the other unimportant areas of machine learning and data science... you know, the stuff that used to be important before ChatGPT came a transformed everything, forcing people to speak about nothing but LLMs... :P).

This is probably going to be a goodie and it can be seen that the IAPP is adding value with a new certification in an area that will genuinely help as the EU broadly legislates and others wait a while so that they can have competitive AI industries, at least until the singularity comes and turns puny, fleshy humans into work units serving data centers...

Anyhow it's worth you consideration especially if you are already an IAPP member, and I even heard it might be worked into a SMU Master's in Data Governance for those of you who like these things, building on offerings there - will let you know more when I do.

Since IAPP supported the NIST Privacy Framework a year or two back they've been on a bit of a roll, and I'd recommend looking at their certs when thinking about breaking into data protection.

IAPP releases AI Governance Professional Body of Knowledge

AI Governance Center (iapp.org)

AIGP_BOK_1.0.0.pdf (iapp.org)

Advanced Certificate in Governance, Risk Management and Data Compliance | SMU Academy

3 Replies
CraginS
Defender I

" I even heard it might be worked into a SMU Master's in Data Governance for those of you who like these things,"

Since Southern Methodist University in Dallas, Texas, has had a robust in-person and remote learning information security program for many years, I noted that sentence and was curious about the relationship between SMU and IAPP.

Was a bit surprised to click on the last link of the post to land at Singapore Management University.

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
Early_Adopter
Community Champion

@CraginS Heh, using TLA's for unintended bait and switch click my link exhortations... 😛

Singapore Managment University has a relationship with a company called Straits Interactive which is basically a legal/training/data protection company and also the IAAPs main training partner in Singapore. The actually worked together to develop and deliver the IAPP/A certification as well as a Certificate in Data Protection course alongside SMU(SG), the enhanced diploma course they offered was working up to this point I guess, and while I'm not too sure how many multi-gues... ah... I mean, rigorous and testing exams you want to include in masters and degrees, it's a good idea to bring practitioners onboard with a masters mid-career and Singapore provides very good funding terms for Citizen's and PRs in the areas of academia and training it chooses to focus on.

I actually though the SMU(SG) training on the practitioner certificate was superior to IAPP's courseware for the CIPM, because it had more hands on work/practical, though I still think the UKs IT Governance GDPR(F/P) was the all-time high in spite of it's name, simply because it was basically a week of practical with a knowledgeable instructor who had been the Assistant DPO for the London Olympics.

Any how I'm sure SMU(DT) could also look at something like this with IAPP if they fit in with their programs, though I'd be worried about the look here I've got CISSP, CISA, OSCP, MCSE 2000 and a march and shoot medal, please give me a degree but I think guest certs from industry can add especially somewhere like the US where specific certifications are needed for certain roles.

I had to dash a little early from the auditorium, but the slide gives in the picture you an idea of where they will slot it in.

IMG-6836.jpg

aliyubello
Viewer

"the stuff that used to be important before ChatGPT came a transformed everything, forcing people to speak about nothing but LLMs... :P)." This part got me. Reminds me of an adaptation of a popular meme I did which I will attach to the comment as an image. It seems people are only talking about the current shiny thing and now it's generative AI.

theiamem2.png

I am currently working on an AI community in Africa Theia AI and even though we have some policies here addressing the use and development of AI I believe this certification would be a good addiction for my team and I.