Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fenix
Newcomer II

Is the (ISC)2 CCFP Certifcation totally dead or will it be revived?

I was going to take the CCFP (Certified Cyber Forensics Professional) certification, then last year I noticed that it was pulled.  I also understand that those who carry a valid designation will have it invalidated by Aug 2020.

It's 2018 and I figure if (ISC)2 was going to re-launch it, that it would of already happened by now.

Does anyone know if (ISC)2 is going to re-launch this type of Forensics certification in one variation or another in the future?

7 Replies
CableGirl
Viewer II

If (ISC)2 CCFP is dead, do we go with a vendor neutral cert like GCFA or GCFE (SANS GIAC) or a vendor cert like EnCE? I would definitely like to see a re-launch of CCFP.
Badfilemagic
Contributor II

SANS training is top-notch across the board. GIAC exams are open book, though. In my experience, there are a few vendor certs (Cisco, RedHat among them) that are excellent at drilling theory and not just "what button to push in our product."

So, I'd say that if you were in the market for a replacement cert, GCFE would be my choice. You may or may not end up at a place that uses EnCase. But, if you have EnCase where you work then it probably makes sense to get their training if you don't already have a lot of hands-on.

-- wdf//CISSP, CSSLP
Fenix
Newcomer II

I know there are other similar certifications such as HTCIA and IACIS. 

The SANS certification is an option too but very expensive.

(ISC)2 was the one of the more reasonable options out there until they killed the cert.

Kaity
Community Manager

Hello Fenix!

At the direction of the (ISC)² Board of Directors, we conducted a thorough evaluation of the entire (ISC)² certification portfolio. This review is conducted periodically to ensure our credentials meet the highest industry standards, ranging from impact to society, the needs and satisfaction levels of the professionals holding the certification, as well as adoption rates compared to similar credentials in the market.

Our review concluded that CCFP no longer meets the strict requirements necessary to remain recognized as an (ISC)² certification. Following the guidelines established by (ISC)² Certification Scheme Committee and approved by the (ISC)² Board of Directors, the CCFP will be designated an inactive credential effective Aug. 21, 2020.

There are currently no plans to replace CCFP with a new (ISC)² certification. However, forensics will remain a component of our future professional development strategy and offerings for members.

Fenix
Newcomer II

Thank you!

kuznickic
Viewer

I’d like to bump this thread now that ISC2 has released CC. Are there any plans now to revisit CCFP? I love the ISC2 certs and they are the gold standard. GIAC is good but very expensive and ISC2 is a cheaper (and better alternative).
Kaity
Community Manager

Hello all!

No plans to bring back CCFP. I am going to share this thread with the education team, though, as we have launched certificates this year and perhaps forensics is one we can do a certificate for.