Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AndreaMoore
Community Manager

Additional Non-CISSP Path to ISSAP, ISSEP and ISSMP Certification

ISC2 has introduced an additional path to earning Concentrations-Logo-350x350.png

the ISSAPISSEP and ISSMP certifications. This new path removes the CISSP as a requirement, while recognizing seven years of relevant experience as a qualifying factor in earning the ISSAP, ISSEP or ISSMP.

There are now two ways to earn and maintain these specialized, role-based certifications. Learn more at ISC2 Insights: https://www.isc2.org/Insights/2023/10/Additional-Non-CISSP-Path-to-ISSAP-ISSEP-and-ISSMP-Certificati...

ISC2 Community Manager
39 Replies
gidyn
Contributor III

@njpsu wrote:

I have to say, I was really shocked at how this was just dropped on those of us holding concentration certifications with no prior notice.  I feel ISC2 is not communicating well with the members.    

This was announced in the Q2 update webinar.

njpsu
Newcomer I

Announcing in a webinar reinforces my point.  Broadcasting in a webinar, that not everyone watches, is not the most effective communications to the entire membership.  Multiple communications paths should be used to announce changes like this, AND solicit input from the membership before making changes; particularly when something like this impacts credential holders.  Expecting a webinar to communicate a major change is insufficient.  

JoePete
Advocate I

@njpsu wrote:

Broadcasting in a webinar, that not everyone watches, is not the most effective communications to the entire membership.  

I think you hit on a larger topic regarding member engagement. If I recall correctly, well less than 5 percent of the membership voted in last year's board elections. Given that as a barometer, this change could have been announced repeatedly on this community and elsewhere and few would have noticed. That said, it's not entirely on the members for their lack of engagement. Again, this is a much broader topic. But I think our long-term health as an organization more hinges on the quality of member engagement than the quantity of members.

Steve-Wilme
Advocate II

The numbers of people that now hold the CISSP means that it's no longer the differentiator it once was. Many employers are using it as an entry level qualification for any role in InfoSec.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Steve Wilme CISSP-ISSAP, ISSMP MCIIS
njpsu
Newcomer I

I think you bring up a fair point.  The problems of lack of participation and communications with the membership are linked.  Something needs to change!

Early_Adopter
Community Champion

@tldutton

With all respect they clearly are new and a surprise.

Firstly. These are no longer CISSP concentrations but individual, stand alone certifications.

Secondly the badge has changed, and is a proxy for trust, just like a coin which is minted.

The knowledge confirmation has ipso facto changed for the new path(unless of course you were to tell me a non-CISSP holder covers off that exam at the same time with all questions across all domains).

Domain experience, well that’s debatable as it’s highly subjective, I think it adds to the newness, but less so than the confirmation and validation of knowledge.

Lastly surprise factor ISC2 was asking for validation of job tasks for stand-alone certificates earlier this year for engineering, architecture and management. So these being issued would not have surprised me(certificate would be far more useful for Certified in Cybersecurity - it wouldn’t carry the 50 USD PUPY for people starting out, many in poor countries. Secondly here it seems ISC2 can offer membership for fifty bucks a year… Id love to have a member vote on that).

Now whether changing these up is a good idea - not sure, Jury’s out but I’d like to see data, I am heartened to see positive response from some holders of the concentrations, though I’d say it’s split with grumblers - a telling factor is that all new board nominees only held CISSP this year.
tldutton
ISC2 Team

dcontesti
Community Champion

@tldutton  @AndreaMoore @JoePete

I think you really need to clarify that last statement:

@JoePete This change WAS done per direction from the ISC2 Board of Directors in Q4 2022.

Are you stating that this change was designed by the Board or the Board Approved changes recommended by Management?

d

tldutton
ISC2 Team

vr2xhy
Newcomer II

@tlduttonthanks for your detail explanation and may I ask how is the existing process to make some idea turns to an agenda item to BoD?

----------
Alvin Chan
CISSP-ISSMP, ISC2 Authorized Instructor, MCIArb
HAM Callsign: VR2XHY, M0HTW