cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
meghas
Viewer

Next Steps after clearing ISC2 CC

Hi, 

I am a Computer Science graduate who has around 7 years of work experience in various fields ranging from client management to education technology roles. I am currently unemployed and looking to restart my career in Cybersecurity. 

I have cleared my ISC2 CC exam this week and look forward to suggestions on the next steps. Am I eligible to apply for jobs as of now? And if yes, what certifications/courses can I pursue to enhance my knowledge while I am job searching?

Advice/Next steps are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Best,

Megha

2 Replies
meghas
Viewer

Thanks, these inputs were helpful! I have made some progress with my technical and conceptual knowledge by taking online courses. No luck with jobs/internships etc.
Any online free labs/courses that you would suggest to get some practical knowledge on SIEM tools? I am currently using tryhackme.com for the SOC Analyst level but would like to be aware of more options out there!

Early_Adopter
Community Champion

Hey Megha,

You’re always eligible to apply for jobs.

The question really is which ones. Your best credential asset by far is your Bachelor’s in Science for computer science, then your experience then probably the CC if you don’t have any other technical certificates/diplomas etc.

If there are roles in IT for large companies you can d with a view to moving into the cybersecurity team that is going to be an easier, quicker and better path for you.

If you go for cybersecurity straight out of the gate then you might choose to look at junior SOC analyst, ID/amAD management or trainee roles if they have them. You may need to consider internships unpaid or otherwise. You should look to get a really clear idea of the role that you would like and tailor the job to your knowledge, skills and experience. Google’s Certified Cybersecurity Professional, CompTIAs Security+ will add considerable value over an above the CC as they have hands on and more junior jobs require more practical/doing than more managerial position's. Also Google adds career circle which ISC2 doesn’t have and Security+ has more requests in job specs. Microsoft, Amazon, other Google, VMWare, Cisco and other vendor security Certifications/Certificates will help more with tool use. Map the tools used for the roles you like. Particularly download Kali Linux and start playing with that - if you like it, consider going for offsec’s OSCP if you’d like to be a pen tester.

Join your local ISC2 Chapter(consider SSCP - you probably have the experience and see if someone is kind enough to mentor you. Don’t get disheartened the CC is a very new cert and it’s got a long way to go until the same level of marketing and awareness that has been directed at prospective candidates lands with hiring managers and HR.

Read these forums as well as this advice keeps getting trotted out and it doesn’t change super much.

Good luck!

meghas
Viewer

Next Steps after clearing ISC2 CC

Hi, 

I am a Computer Science graduate who has around 7 years of work experience in various fields ranging from client management to education technology roles. I am currently unemployed and looking to restart my career in Cybersecurity. 

I have cleared my ISC2 CC exam this week and look forward to suggestions on the next steps. Am I eligible to apply for jobs as of now? And if yes, what certifications/courses can I pursue to enhance my knowledge while I am job searching?

Advice/Next steps are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Best,

Megha