cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kuastro
Newcomer I

Looking for a Carreer Change

Hello,

I was always someone who was into IT, yet never embraced it as a career.

Currently have approx. 10 years of experience in big companies (with 5 years of sales and 5 years of project and product management). I also made a few websites in my time, so have knowledge of HTML, CSS, and a basic understanding of coding, yet not proficient in any coding language yet.

Decided to switch completely to CyberSecurity, so any kind of mentoring is welcome.

By contacting people from the business, I've been directed to the CC training and told the exam would be beneficial, so I finished the training in a week and obtained the certificate to become a member.

Trying to continue my learning with the Coursera Google CyberSecurity professional courses, which would also help me learn basics in Linux, SQL, and Python as a start, and also thinking of learning JavaScript to follow it up.

In that while, I'm open to any suggestion, be it e-courses, careers, or opportunities.

Currently working full-time at a big enterprise, which I'm thinking of changing as soon as I find a Cyber Security position.

Also, wanted to join the community in my country, yet there seems to be no chapter where I am...

Thank you for reading. 

You can find me on linkedin

2 Replies
JoePete
Advocate I

@Kuastro wrote:

Trying to continue my learning with the Coursera Google CyberSecurity professional courses, which would also help me learn basics in Linux, SQL, and Python as a start, and also thinking of learning JavaScript to follow it up.

Focus on Python. I wouldn't go near JavaScript. It would be like trying to learn how to play baseball by playing Wiffle ball, or learning football/soccer by playing kickball. You can do fun, cool things with JS, but it's quirky and the skills and habits don't necessarily carry over to other languages - IMHO.

Try Kali Linux, get good with Nmap, aircrack-ng, kismet - lots of rabbit holes to jump down. I wouldn't worry too much about SQL, but I would learn about directories, the X.500 standard, see if you can get your hands dirty setting up (and breaking) Active Directory. I'd also encourage you to play around with OpenWRT, and how to set up some different VPNs. 

Currently working full-time at a big enterprise, which I'm thinking of changing as soon as I find a Cyber Security position.

Talk with the security/tech folks at your own company. They might have a project they could use on without compromising your current role. I've hired laterally a bunch of times. You know the person (at least somewhat) and you know they're reliable and willing to learn. If nothing else, they might know someone or give you a good lead.

Also, familiarize yourself with some security frameworks (e.g. NIST). Last piece of advice: put the SANS Stormcenter podcast with Johannes Ullrich on your morning feed. Most informative five minutes you will have each day.

Early_Adopter
Community Champion

CompTIA’s Security+ is the best bang for buck you can get for certification tho help you get employed entry level right now.

However you have ten years experience 5 sales, 5 PM… I think that you can leverage this in security focused Systems Integrators, resellers, distributors or even vendors. If you can get a role working on a project(s) that has high exposure to security related deliverables this will allow you to command a higher salary whilst getting stuck in at the coalesce as well and complimenting your certification efforts - certainly enough for SSCP after a year.

Another option would be to take an account manager role at similar companies selling security services, solutions and products.

By approaching it this way you can ease yourself into the space and command higher remuneration for your existing skills whilst potentially getting more visibility as you go.

Kuastro
Newcomer I

Looking for a Carreer Change

Hello,

I was always someone who was into IT, yet never embraced it as a career.

Currently have approx. 10 years of experience in big companies (with 5 years of sales and 5 years of project and product management). I also made a few websites in my time, so have knowledge of HTML, CSS, and a basic understanding of coding, yet not proficient in any coding language yet.

Decided to switch completely to CyberSecurity, so any kind of mentoring is welcome.

By contacting people from the business, I've been directed to the CC training and told the exam would be beneficial, so I finished the training in a week and obtained the certificate to become a member.

In that while, I'm open to any suggestion, be it e-courses, careers, or opportunities.

Also, wanted to join the community in my country, yet there seems to be no chapter where I am...

Thank you for reading. 

You can find me on linkedin