cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sdorey44
Newcomer I

Jobs after CC certification

Good Evening,

I got my CC certification in Oct. 2023. I was wondering what kind of cyber security positions I should be applying for and how to get the skills while waiting for responses.
6 Replies
Early_Adopter
Community Champion

Congrats on passing!

A lot depends on where you are, what experience you have(especially in IT) and what you would like to do. There is an embarrassment of riches here and you should look at these in the forum.

Passing CC wont directly lead to a job unless you are super lucky, or perhaps an exceptional natural talent. Look for trainee roles or IT roles.

Write down your aspirations, career to date, qualifications etc in your CV share it with a couple of people you trust so you can get their feedback.

1. Search for roles you can commute relocate to in linked in etc. pick up on what they ask for and research them - the more active you are here the better.
2. Screen and apply with tailored resume and cover letter. Start small don’t spam.
3. Pursue more advanced, applicable study. Security+ Google Certified Cybersecurity Professional etc plus MS, Amazon, VMWare, and other vendor certs(everything is made out of Linux and/or windows so master those two OS’s. Starting out expect to be a tool user. Join clubs, chapters associations.
4. Asses every 2-3 weeks if it’s not progressing consider internships.

Experience is king(IT feeds Cybersecurity for the most part), but context is also very important so look at your circumstances and opportunities.

ericgeater
Community Champion

Congratulations.  What kind of work background do you have right now?  Are you a student?

-----------
A claim is as good as its veracity.
sdorey44
Newcomer I

I have 15 years of IT experience ranging from deskside support to imaging, SCCM, Intune, Azure etc.
Early_Adopter
Community Champion

That’s pretty solid.

What cyber role would you like to consider - I’d list no more than three initially.
sdorey44
Newcomer I

I’d like to be part of a SOC. Risk management and penetration testing peaks my interest. I’ve been doing some labs for ethical hacking.
Early_Adopter
Community Champion

OK so SOC.

Low level:

I think you should probably look at E/N/X/DR tools out there, but also SIEM. I suggest you search for these tools(and others) in the areas you want to work in. Examples Crowstrike, Sentinel One, Carbon Black, Microsoft, Symantec etc - Splunk, Sumo Logic, QRadar, Exabeam, Securonix, Arcsight… tweak these as appropriate work out the ones that companies use where you want to work attack rank and learn you top options. Download Kali Linux and practice.

Mid level look at your managerial experience, leadership chops and see if you think you can help setup.

Better yet get some mates who work there(in one) to introduce you.

Further education - Security+, Google Certified Cybersecurity Professional will likely be quite valuable, and any security vendor certs. SSCP may also help but frankly hands on certs(those with a portion of practice) are best here, and more useful than ISC2 IMHO.