Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ericgeater
Community Champion

Higher Ed Thread for 2024

There was an older thread here for masters-level education, but that thread has aged a bit.

For people looking for post-secondary education, what're y'all seeing lately?  Not just masters, but undergrad as well.  I'm actually looking at WGU, as I learned they'll accept some professional certifications if they've been achieved in the last five years.

-----------
A claim is as good as its veracity.
1 Reply
JoePete
Advocate I

@ericgeater wrote:

For people looking for post-secondary education, what're y'all seeing lately?  Not just masters, but undergrad as well.  

As an old dog, I've given up learning new tricks 🙂 But years back, I had the benefit of working in higher ed., which made it easy and affordable collect degrees or graduate certificates. What I have found most valuable in my technology career is my non-technology education and experience. There remains a perception that those on the tech side (including security) are target focus, and that perception may be for good reason. If you can come to the table with a good understanding of business drivers, be able to read financial documents, understand common ratios, etc., you can start having conversations rather than one-way memos.

Higher ed. is really challenged by the pace of the technology. It may be different now, but when I was in higher ed. it would take about seven years to get a degree program approved. I think this is where graduate certificates or third-party credentials have emerged as a more flexible option vs. a full-blown degree. In the U.S., at least, we're also seeing vocational high schools in high demand. That's not just about trades, but robotics, IT, etc. College (and more importantly college debt) is not as attractive as it once was. That presents some real strategic challenges for colleges.