Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnjo4n
Newcomer I

Cyber PhD or DSc for Career Advancement?

Good Day Ladies and Gentlemen:

Wanted to pull from colleagues here and get your inputs.

About a year ago, I finished my Masters in Cyber Systems Engineering and the university I was graduating from didn't have a Doctorate program that could fit my work restrictions. 

Today, I am a Program ISSM and decided to go for a doctorate in making myself more appealing to Cyber Executive Leadership within six years.

First program is Cyber Leadership PhD just as it sounds there is little to no technical area of study

Second program is Doctorate in Cybersecurity where it is 1/3 Technical-Equipment, 1/3 Technical-Admin, and 1/3 Leadership.

My gut says it should be the first program, but any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

John F. PMP CISSP

10 Replies
johnjo4n
Newcomer I

Good Day Kenneth @CISOScott,

Thank you for your reply and insight.

I do desire to teach one day, but not as a tenured professor. As an Adjunct Professor, it would still suffice my passion.

Your comments are aligned with my bosses. Right now I am in a good position with a lot of spotlight with the current Executives. Just as you mentioned, it would be career suicide if I gave that up. Sad to say, as a prior talent recruiter, I know that majority of the jobs are who you know and not necessarily what you know.

Sincerely,

John F. PMP CISSP