cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dave4
Newcomer II

CC JOBS

Hi,
My dear colleagues, is it possible to get entry job with CC?
Can any one help me secure my first job with CC? in order to continue my cybersecurity career?
Have a blessed day!
David
8 Replies
Early_Adopter
Community Champion

Hi Dave,

Congrats on passing the exam.

I'm of the opinion that just having a CC itself will probably not be enough to get you a job in Cyber Security, it might improve as it becomes more well known, but right now it's not well enough known and understood and you just have to search on linked-in where you are to see if it's there as a requirement.

First of all, verifiable experience is king, because as an employer you know you'll have a shared understanding, I'll use this to nix ISC2's CC marketing which frankly I think is over optimistic, before I suggest a path forward:

"You don’t need experience — just the passion and drive to enter a field that opens limitless opportunities around the globe."

Now, if there's someone who will employ you with no experience, and no other relevant qualifications an ISC2 Certified in Cybersecurity then I'd kick the tires pretty hard on that job offer - not saying don't go for it, a job is probably better than no job after all, but there's an element of trust with most of these roles that means you need a degree of exposure(quite often a degree as a filter), knowledge and references.

I think the two things you can do with a CC now is, use it to search for roles(it's limited but last I checked) there were a few hundred globally on linked in and work out how to talk about it in interview should you get to it - selection, prep process might be interesting, and is the experience - if you can get interviewed by someone certified by ISC2 it might help.

Main way into InfoSec or Cyber Security is through IT experience, physical security can help a bit. 

To know better how to advise you folk will need to know much more about your background, education, experience etc, and also what role you are looking for - it's a big old zoo out there.

Feel free to PM me I don't mind having a quick call with you if it helps, I can at least share my path which was unorthodox, but might be helpful. Others might also be available.

JoePete
Advocate I

@Dave4 wrote:
My dear colleagues, is it possible to get entry job with CC?
Can any one help me secure my first job with CC? in order to continue my cybersecurity career?

I would encourage you to find a nearby (ISC)2 chapter and/or that of ISSA and network with some people that way. While this is the age of remote work, so much of this profession (any profession) is the personal connection. Attending chapter meetings, having a coffee with colleagues, etc. is a great way of networking.

In thinking about this, I think where the CC may be most helpful is if you're trying to land an entry level job with an auditor or some consultant. In terms of an operational job, you really need experience. The junior jobs we have are really IT jobs with a security component. In that regard, you need to hire people with the IT skills. We tend to assume we have to teach much of the security just due to the specifics of our environment (e.g. our networking, firewalling, VPN, etc.).

As an analogy, if I am hiring a driver, I want someone who has a lot of driving experience. I don't care how well they did on their driver's test. But if I am hiring someone to audit drivers, yes I want someone who knows the rules (and that was proven by how well they did on the test). So that's how I would look at it. I've yet to see the CC cross my desk on a job application. I do see a lot of Security+, but where candidates really differentiate themselves is with what they've done. When I worked in higher ed., I used to hire all our workstudy students. That was a population with no professional experience, but what was a great differentiator was what these kids did on their own.  There is no excuse for no experience; the person trying to break into your systems likely has no "professional" experience either. That's not stopping him or her.

Dave4
Newcomer II

Thank You very much Sir,
Dave4
Newcomer II

thank you,
please this is my email: davkotoo16@yahoo.co.uk
whatsapp : +16157105533
Early_Adopter
Community Champion

Hey Dave,

A co.uk email address, with a North American dialling code based in Spain..?

Ejawowa!

There has to be a story there, I’ll PM you a context and we can chat.
denbesten
Community Champion

@Early_Adopter wrote:
A co.uk email address, with a North American dialling code based in Spain..?

Buddy of mine is an expat and does that to keep himself easily available to friends, family and colleagues. Skype dial-in, VOIP, and Google voice all make it pretty easy.

Early_Adopter
Community Champion

Dave and I had a good chat/natter - not quite the same thing here but interesting nonetheless.

For example I use absolute poverty raccoon program mobile service provider but tge Skype out for dialing uK, Vegas, Good Coast etc.
OOlusanya
Viewer

Thanks for sharing. Found your driver analogy interesting.