cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andrewc
Viewer III

CC: Career Changer Next Steps

Hi folks,

I just passed the CC exam and I am excited to learn more! I am looking for any advice on what I should do next, especially as someone with an unrelated bachelors hoping to gain more experience. Any thoughts on how to find people to network with and how to find entry-level opportunities?

Thanks

2 Replies
Bduffy89
Newcomer II

Following, because same.
emb021
Advocate I

If you want to network, look for local infosec groups.  Look for local chapters of ISSA, ISC2, ISACA.  Also look for any DFG (Defcon) groups.  You may need to use Meetup to find such.  There may be local, unaffiliated groups as well in your area.

Just in my area (South Florida) this is an active ISSA, ISC2, ISACA, several defcon groups, HackMiami, OWASP groups, AWS, and some have tried to get a CSA (cloud security) chapter going.

These groups can meeting monthly or more (or less).

Also look into local (or near local) security conferences.  Local chapters may have these, as well as the many Security BSides conferences.  Again, using my area we have security events from the ISSA, ISC2, HackMiami groups, as well as some of the local resellers.  And we have BSides in Tampa, St Pete, Orlando, and Jacksonville annually.

---
Michael Brown, CISSP, HCISPP, CISA, CISM, CGEIT, CRISC, CDPSE, GSLC, GSTRT, GLEG, GSNA, CIST, CIGE, ISSA Fellow