Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bensamuel
Viewer II

How to prep. for CISSP Exam for Targetting End-of-Year?

Hello,
I have currently ~1.5+ years of experience in the cybersecurity field (covering 2 domains of the CISSP) exam. I am planning on preparing and doing my CISSP exam by the end of this year. 

I have few queries on:
1. Is there a change in exam pattern from April 2024, in comparison to previous years? 

2. Is the 10th edition of the CISSP Study Guide coming out soon? How different would the pattern be, in comparison with previous years?

3. If, I clear the test, I become an ISC2 Associate, once I complete my 5 year work-experience, I should be able to apply for my CISSP certifications, correct? 

Looking forward to hearing from someone on this! Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Ben.

1 Reply
JoePete
Advocate I

@bensamuel wrote:

I have few queries on:
1. Is there a change in exam pattern from April 2024, in comparison to previous years? 

2. Is the 10th edition of the CISSP Study Guide coming out soon? How different would the pattern be, in comparison with previous years?

I think the change is mostly a slight shifting in the weighting of exam content. As a broad statement, realize that the CISSP is designed to test knowledge that (ideally) has been accumulated over many years. While there are many study guides, they are all review in nature. In other words, there may be questions that deal with content not in any guide. You might want to check the following list of supplemental resources for a fuller sense of what is fair game on the exams:
https://www.isc2.org/certifications/references

That said, I think it is certainly possible to pass the exam using one study guide (even one that is an edition or two behind) and with moderate experience. Still, as you note, you will need another 3-plus years of experience before you can move from an associate to a member/CISSP. Why not wait until you get that experience? While it was two decades ago when I sat for the exam, I felt my work experience was critical to my ability to digest the depth and breadth of the CISSP content. Unfortunately, I think the CISSP is often misunderstood or mis-labeled in job postings. I understand the desire to get the cert ASAP, but if you can wait, you may find a lot of value in your continued work experience in terms of preparing you for the exam and to continue as CISSP after it.