cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SWALTERS
Newcomer III

CHAPTER MEETING: 26th May 2021

Hi All,

Just to notify you that the (ISC)2 WA Chapter will host a Chapter meeting on Wednesday 26th May 2021.

Date: 26th May 2021

Time: TBC - probably from 16:30 - 18:30 (and drinks afterwards)

Location: Upstairs Restaurant section @ Grand Bar & Bistro (150B St. Georges Terrace, Perth WA), but will be held virtually if WA COVID-19 lockdown restrictions remain

Talk: Yes - Information Session.

Sponsor: TBC - contact @SWALTERS or @RJL01 if interested.

Approximate Agenda:

16:30 - 16:45: Arrival, sign-in & drinks.

16:45 - 16:50: Chapter announcements and new business (if any).

~16:50 - 17:40: Information Session (Blue Team focused) presented by @tc - "The problem with passwords...".

~17:40 - 18:30: Information Session (Blue Team focused) presented by @skeggs - "Controlling your land: high value internal controls which can halt and hinder real world attackers"

~18:30 - 18:40: Any further announcements / Migrate to main bar.

18:40 - onwards: Social networking at the bar for anyone who wishes to continue on.

Please let us know in May if you can attend, so we can confirm numbers.

Have a good week to all in the meantime. 

Regards,

Stewart.

7 Replies
WhiteWolf85
Newcomer I

Thanks Stewart, I'll be attending this one

Looking forward to meeting some of the other Chapter members.

Cheers

Joel

SWALTERS
Newcomer III

Hi All,

Just a reminder that next week is the next (ISC)2 WA Chapter meeting.  We are having two technical presentations:

From @tc - "The problem with passwords..."; and

From @skeggs - "Controlling your land: high value internal controls to halt and hinder real world attackers".

If you haven't let us know you're attending, please do so, so that we can tally the numbers.

Regards, Stewart.

Nedman77
Viewer II

Hi Stewart, Sorry for the late notice I'll come along and check it out. Regards Shayne
SWALTERS
Newcomer III

Hi All,

Just a reminder for those who aren't on the Signal group - this afternoon's meeting is at the "Restaurant Section" (upstairs) at the Grand Bar & Bistro in Perth (150B St. Georges Tce).

After both our talks, we'll migrate to the "Mezzanine Section" for networking and drinks, for those who want it.

If you're unsure where these sections are, feel free to ask the staff at the Grand who can point you in the right direction.

Kind Regards, Stewart

Noli
Reader I

Hi Stewart,

Are we able to claim CPE for chapter meetings? If yes, how do we get proof of attendance?
SWALTERS
Newcomer III

@Noli wrote:
Hi Stewart,

Are we able to claim CPE for chapter meetings? If yes, how do we get proof of attendance?

Short answer: yes.

I only have a loose understanding of the process based on a conversation I had years ago with an AISA Perth Chapter lead.  (ISC)2 haven't explained it fully yet (presumably they would normally do this during the Chapter Chartering Start-up Kit, which we still haven't been given to date).

Process is essentially this:

- You attend site, and write your name down on the roll call sheet.

- You define the CPE as a part of your normal documentation.  If it's an Information Session / Brief / Talk then claim a Type A CPE.  If you're on the Committee and it's Committee related claim a Type B CPE.

- If it get's audited, (ISC)2 will contact the Committee and ask for a verification that you were present.

- A Committee Member (typically the Secretary or the Membership Chair), will confirm (or not confirm) your presence to (ISC)2.

Of course we haven't experienced it so far, so the process may be slightly different once it's outlined to us properly.

Worst case - I would recommend you add these events to your CPE list.  I've had a CPE or two audited, but usually in a given year I do 1.5 to 2 times the amount of CPEs required.  Sometimes it's easy for me to let the one CPE go, because the rest well and truly get me over the required amount. 

simmo
Viewer II

Correct, that is the way that it aways worked for AISA, the member claims the CPEs and when there is an audit ISC2 will confirm attendance with the branch committee.

On this point make sure that the branch committee claim their 40 points a year for being part of the committee.

Steve...