Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EchelonVigil
Newcomer II

"Preempting Zero-Day Attacks: Proactive Strategies in Cybersecurity"

Is it feasible to prevent a zero-day attack before it occurs? This question is at the forefront of cybersecurity discussions. While completely predicting and stopping all zero-day threats may not be possible due to their unpredictable nature, implementing proactive security measures can significantly reduce the risk.

Cybersecurity experts are constantly developing advanced tools and techniques to detect vulnerabilities before they can be exploited. By staying ahead with threat intelligence, rigorous testing, and continuous monitoring, we can create a robust defense against these elusive threats.

Engaging in this proactive approach is not just a challenge; it's a necessary evolution in the ever-changing landscape of cybersecurity. Let's explore how we can fortify our defenses and stay one step ahead of potential threats.

5 Replies
CISOScott
Community Champion

Performing basic cyber hygiene helps too. Having been with multiple organizations I have seen the same problems over and over. Failed basic protection steps. What good is a zero trust network if you haven't patched in 3 years?

The only way I see in finding and trying to shutdown zero days is with active monitoring and honeypots. You have to find the suspicious behavior before you realize you have a problem. 

EchelonVigil
Newcomer II

I highly agree. Most organizations, if not all, miss the simple steps in protecting their assets. Operating within a zero trust network is quickly forgotten after installation. 

JoePete
Advocate I

@EchelonVigil wrote:

While completely predicting and stopping all zero-day threats may not be possible due to their unpredictable nature, implementing proactive security measures can significantly reduce the risk.

The reality is most zero-day attacks are rooted in bad purchasing/vendor decisions. If you're prudent about the systems and software you use, harden them, and patch them, you can greatly minimize your vulnerability to zero days. The problem is too many organizations needlessly purchase/license software with awful track records and do very little to stay on top of patches. To many, "security" is a matter of buying more systems software, and services to monitor other systems, software, and services. Every app, every line of code is just another opportunity for a zero-day. Keep it lean, keep it clean.

mgorman
Contributor II

Fundamental monitoring and good architecture are the keys to preventing any type of exploit, zero-day or other.  Zero Trust architecture was proposed to segment/microsegment information assets and prevent the spread of various attacks, and that is a very strong start.  

Traffic, status code, pattern monitoring, and anomaly detection are also key.  So many attacks these days are based on things like credential stuffing and I always ask myself, why didn't all the failures trigger an alert?  Why am I suddenly transferring TB of data in the middle of the night?  Malicious actors can hide a lot of ways, but in most cases, they want data in the end, and the fact that data is moving is difficult if not impossible to hide.  AI/ML systems that can monitor big parts of your network are great if you can afford and maintain them commensurate with your risk.  If you have a smaller company, perhaps a dashboard, SIEM or not, checked daily that has status return codes, logins, etc. for a human operator to note large changes in the behaviors. 

Basic blocking and tackling wins games and saves companies.   It drives me crazy to see all the investment that goes into highly complex tools when organizations haven't done the fundamentals well.  It might be a very shiny thing to show off, but is it delivering the real value?

EchelonVigil
Newcomer II

I second that moment. It seems like organizations hear "95% or 100% secure" and rush to hand over the company card.