Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ElectricLynn
Newcomer II

Is it OK to do 45 CC CPE in the first year rather than 15 CPE minimum yearly for 3 years

The CPE handbook states 45 CPE in 3 years; 15 minimum each year for 3 years.  However, I am uncertain if I can do all 45 focusing on skill builder in the first year.

The reason I ask is because when I passed the CC exam May 7th 2024, I saw that the MFA receipt said "Begin Date June 1st" and proceeded to plow through 6 CPE opportunities under News & Insights from July/August 2023 through May/June 2024 not thinking that the CPEs would not count until after my June 1st start date.  I found I lost the 6CPE opportunity on a support call to begin my first skill-builder course that was giving me a registration error (I was not adding from learn.isc2.org).  Right now I am focused on completing all the Skill Builder bundles before turning my focus to NIST CSF 2.0 to pick up where I left off back in 2016 before heading back to finish graduate school while between qualifying jobs.

I know it may seem unusual to want to do 45 CPE early in the first year of CC.  However, life got really wonky over the last decade especially with covid.  It seems beneficial to just get as much done in the NOW than wait for unexpected challenge to fall out of the sky and risk missing requirements as per my experience.

w/r MLH
10 Replies
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

@ElectricLynnDedication and doing a little a day regularly builds up your skills, confidence and ability to execute and provide trusted advice.

Well done - keep the good work up.

Regards

Caute_Cautim

ElectricLynn
Newcomer II

Thank you.  Really, just preparing for the unexpected which I have come to expect.  Sorry to have posted this in [threats] without knowing the way to change discussion subs.  Thank you for your patience with my learning curve.  

w/r MLH
denbesten
Community Champion

You can earn all 45 just as soon as your 3-year cycle starts.  However, if you plan to earn a second cert, do know that one can only double-dip during the period when both 3-year cycles are active.  So, it might be worth it to think about "when" you can best take the credits.

For example, if you you earn all 45 this month and get a CISSP next month, you will need to do 120 more, for a total of 165.  

Steve-Wilme
Advocate II

Strangely ISC2 aligned the certification cycle for my CISSP and concentrations some time back, so maybe it's only an issue initially.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Steve Wilme CISSP-ISSAP, ISSMP MCIIS
ElectricLynn
Newcomer II

Ah yes. Perhaps it is best to just get 15 and focus on what will get career building back on track.

w/r MLH
ElectricLynn
Newcomer II

Thank you all!

w/r MLH
AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

@Steve-Wilme wrote:

Strangely ISC2 aligned the certification cycle for my CISSP and concentrations some time back, so maybe it's only an issue initially.

The CISSP concentrations as they were required the CISSP, so naturally their cycles were aligned to the CISSP cycle - I assume this will no longer be the case now they are standalone certifications, but only for newly minted ISSxPs.

PatrickG78108
Newcomer I

My recently earned ISSEP concentration's (tested in May, awarded in Jun) certification cycle was aligned with that of my CISSP's cycle.  This means that I have ~ 6 weeks to complete 20 cpe's. Doable, but not what I expected.  

PATRICK Gillilan ISSEP, CISSP, CGRC, CISM, C|EH
AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

@PatrickG78108 

This has been covered before, and you shouldn't need to complete any CPEs for your ISSEP yet as you have fewer than 6 months left on your CISSP cycle:

https://community.isc2.org/t5/Member-Support/cissp-concentration-cpe-counting/m-p/26563#M5390