cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

Flipper Zero

Hi All

Something is happening on TikTok and it is going viral, be aware and ensure you understand its capabilities:

https://www-wired-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.wired.com/story/what-is-flipper-zero-tiktok/amp

"The $200 device is called Flipper Zero, and it’s a portable pen-testing tool designed for hackers of all levels of technical expertise. The tool is smaller than a phone, easily concealable, and is stuffed with a range of radios and sensors that allow you to intercept and replay signals from keyless entry systems, Internet of Things sensors, garage doors, NFC cards, and virtually any other device that communicates wirelessly in short ranges. For example, in just seconds, I used the Flipper Zero to seamlessly clone the signal of an office RFID badge tucked safely inside my wallet."

Remember the "Lost in Space" Series - Danger Danger Will Robinson etc.

Regards

Cautim_Cautim

12 Replies
denbesten
Community Champion

@ericgeater wrote:

@denbesten are there transaction fees on a penny?!  Inquiring minds want to know!!

I do not have factual knowledge, but I do suspect it would be something "small", like $0.30 plus 3%.  :-).

ericgeater
Community Champion

So that's roughly going to be $0.32 every time someone badges in.

BOOP in the morning... *cha-ching*
BOOP returning from lunch... *cha-ching*
Dentist appointment at two?  *cha-ching*

Restroom breaks?  *cha-ching* and *cha-ching*

Left my umbrella in the office on a rainy afternoon? *cha-ching*

The Payment Card Industry really put themselves in the correct place.

-----------
A claim is as good as its veracity.
denbesten
Community Champion

Yep. 

At some point, there will be a major vulnerability; management will ask for a solution.  That's when I will pull out the "PCI got it right" card and let them work through the exact same realization that Eric did --- security costs money and outsourcers don't work for free.

Do I honestly believe leveraging PCI this way is the right solution?  No.  Do I believe we ought to be leveraging their pocket-to-terminal data protection expertise in other areas?  Yes.