Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DHerrmann
Contributor II

Windows 10 EOL in 2025 - a slow-moving train wreck due to Windows 11 hardware requirements?

Windows 10 goes EOL in October, 2025.     However, many (most?) of the world's PCs will not be able to run Windows 11 because of hardware limitations (https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2021/08/27/update-on-windows-11-minimum-system-requirement...)

My work PC is only 5 years old - it's a 8th gen i7 - a powerful PC that can't run Win11.

My trusty old home PC runs perfectly fast for me, but it can't run Win11 either.

I see this as a slow-motion train wreck.   Many people have no idea that they'll be on an unsupported Win10 in November, 2025 if they don't upgrade their PC, of move to Linux.   Yeah - you can force a Win11 install on a PC that doesn't meet the minimum system requirements, but that's high risk.

What are your company's plans for the Win11 challenge?  Will you just buy a bunch of new PCs, move to Linux, move away from Windows, or just pray that you don't get attacked while running an EOL version of Win10 (an option that probably won't be reasonable in a regulated industry)?

1 Reply
ericgeater
Community Champion

Our org has fewer concerns about current PC compatibility, so the first question I have would be about legacy software compatibility.

My greatest alarm is saved for Windows 11 being less "compatible" with PCs than is currently stated.  I've seen firsthand how an unintended upgrade functioned nicely until the moment I opened File Explorer.  Suddenly the PC went into churn, and it recovered after ninety seconds.  While File Explorer was hosed, Windows just gave up on everything else until FE finally became available again.

-----------
A claim is as good as its veracity.