Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

What happens to obsolete brain implants - neurotechnology?

Hi All

Well we know brain implants are carried out today, and will be in the near future, with a possible hook up to Chat GPT or similar technology?  What happens when they are obsolete within the life span of the carrier?  How do they carry out patches and system updates?  Can the human be influenced?  Can they be trusted or they be an information gathering cyborg?  Imagine someone in a security controlled environment, would they be trusted or even permitted within such an environment?

https://ia.acs.org.au/article/2023/what-happens-to-obsolete-brain-implants-.html

Regards

Caute_Cautim

5 Replies
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

Hi All

Sometimes I feel like I came from the planet of Zog, when I mention subjects such as this one - there is silence: wherein a quick Google search reveals:  "Zog" was alien who seemly came from a planet colder than Earth. It became stranded on Earth and, to survive and await rescue, it encased itself in ice and wrote the word Zog on the outside. He was eventually found by humans who became fearful he would destroy the the planet if freed.

Apparently a Marvel creation. 

Unfortunately, we are at the cusp of many breakthroughs including the ethical and transparent use of AI, and technology which will and can be used to abuse the human brain.   We all hope it will be used for the good of humans and for health reasons, but there is so much room for abuse.

But sometimes, we simply have to raise the mettle, to bring up subjects, which need to be carefully examined before they become the norm.  If you gently touch a nettle it'll sting you for your pains; grasp it like a lad of mettle, an' as soft as silk remains. The metaphorical phrase to grasp the nettle, to tackle a difficulty boldly.

This is what our chosen field is about, taking risks, identifying them and being bold about speaking out.

Excuse my outcry, lets be bold and tackle these issues head on.

Regards

Caute_Cautim

Caute_cautim
Community Champion

@DanielCooperI agree, but at least the subject gets some air time, before it becomes a major issue in the near future. 

There are lot of subjective ethical, transparency and privacy issues to be resolved, the quicker we get to an agreed consensus the better for everyone.

Regards

Caute_Cautim

denbesten
Community Champion

I believe the best answer is the wargames solution - "The only winning move is not to play”.   I do enough damage to my body with poor diet/exercise.  I don't need to introduce any "cool tech" into my body that could somehow "leak" or have otherwise result in unanticipated side effects.  I have similar concerns about subcutaneous RFIDs and cosmetic implants.

Caute_cautim
Community Champion

@denbestenSo if you were granted longevity with nano-robots beyond 100 hundred years, you would turn it down?  Lets hope you have a long and healthy life going forward.

Regards

Caute_Cautim

Caute_cautim
Community Champion

Hi All

Well Elon Musk has been granted FDA approval to go ahead with trials for his Neuralink technology.

What will be the outcomes, impacts and issues that will come out of this?

Who is monitoring the impact, and ramifications?

https://www.reuters.com/science/elon-musks-neuralink-gets-us-fda-approval-human-clinical-study-brain...

Regards

Caute_Cautim