cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iluom
Contributor II

Web Isolation solution

Hello..

I heard and seen Web Isolation is a technique to address browser-based exploits Instead of relying on malware detection, Web Isolation protects organizations end users from cyber attacks by isolating malware and preventing it from reaching end user browsers. Web Isolation executes web sessions away from endpoints, sending only safely rendering information to users' browsers, thereby preventing malware from reaching their network and devices.

Is there any better solution for this situation? Would like to hear and know your opinions on this

Thanks

Chandra Mouli, CISSP, CCSP, CSSLP
3 Replies
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

Hi @iluom     I looked it up as my first course of action:

"Web Isolation protects against emails with links to malicious websites, so they cannot deliver malware, ransomware and other advanced attacks. It also prevents users from submitting corporate credentials and other sensitive information to unknown and malicious websites by rendering pages in read-only mode."

It appears to be an offering put up by Symantec, where they offer up a Secure Web Gateway as an offering with various functions and other attributes such as Malware protection and Data Leakage Protection (DLP) etc.

Symantec explain it as this:  Advanced cloud and web security services to protect applications like Office 365. ... Symantec Web Security Service delivers a broad set of advanced capabilities—including a secure web gateway (SWG), software defined perimeter, anti-virus scanning, sandboxing, web isolation, data loss prevention (DLP), and email security.

This appears remarkably similar to other Cloud based services either on Premise or off Premise i.e. in the Cloud from various vendors including Proofpoint, Forcepoint and others. 

They all appear to have the same characteristics:  A forward or reverse proxy, Sandbox, Malware detection and prevention, Data Leakage Protection (DLP), and some also also a Cloud Access Security Broker (CASB) capability as well.   If you are into Akamai, they now offer something similar with Enterprise Defender, which may be worst exploring on the basis that your organisation is moving to Zero Thrust Security or on the journey.

Hope this helps a little?

Regards

Caute_Cautim

Caute_cautim
Community Champion

@iluom     I don't normally reply back to my responses:  However as a follow up to our conversation:

Thank you for the Kudos by the way.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/mcafee-acquires-light-point-security-team-to-bring-browser-isolation-t...

McAfee recently did an acquisition on a company to improve their Browser isolation.  In terms of CASB's there is another term being banded around SASE Secure Access Service Edge architecture.   Palo Alto after their acquisitions recently also use the same term SASE to describe their approach.

So keep watching the market evolve, very quickly and get to the root of all their terms and changes.

Regards

Caute_cautim

iluom
Contributor II

@Caute_cautim
Thank you!!!
Chandra Mouli, CISSP, CCSP, CSSLP