Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lamont29
Community Champion

The most relevant Interview Question?

How are you staying current? Prior to becoming a CISSP, I'd get this question almost every time at a job interview, but not so much from prospective employers 'after' getting certified. However, I believe that life-long learning is key to our (CISSP's) success. So how are you guys keeping current and honing your skills?

Lamont Robertson
M.S., M.A., CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, CDPSE, MCSE
10 Replies
Shannon
Community Champion

Deviating from this post's original question about staying current, an example I can provide --- from a friend who attended an interview for an IT Security post --- is 'How would you go about securing an HR system to be implemented at multiple international locations?'

His answer to the interviewer was general steps: 'Ensure that portal connections are properly secured with SSL, accounts are properly managed, stored data is secured, & the application & site are properly tested.'

My response would have been: Before addressing the system's security, I'd want to gather information on the proposed implementation --- including what the system will use, what it will cater to, and where it's going to be deployed --- based on which I can determine the adequate security required, and how to implement this.

I can't be sure how an interviewer would perceive my reply --- either he'll agree that assessing a system is an important prerequisite to securing it & will offer some more info; else he'll assume I'm evading him 'coz I can't think of an answer.

The expectations and attitude of an interviewer / prospective employer play a big role in the outcome, alas we have to work with whatever we can glean about them, without having to rely on a psychological evaluation.

Shannon D'Cruz,
CISM, CISSP

www.linkedin.com/in/shannondcruz