cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vt100
Community Champion

Samsung tweet about AV scanning of their Smart TVs

Well, this was a long time coming:

https://gizmodo.com/samsung-deletes-terrifying-tweet-warning-that-its-smart-1835577964

Given proliferation of the "Smart" devices and their susceptibility to compromises, I suspect will cause us to rethink the definition of "perimeter" once again.

For a while now, EDR vendors were gleefully decrying the "death of perimeter". Perhaps its demise was greatly exaggerated.

As it is unlikely to implement endpoint protection on all of the embedded devices, something got to keep them safe.

1 Reply
mgorman
Contributor II

On endpoint protection, I just wish the vendors wouldn't leave ports open on everything.  As much as I prefer local control to cloud control for IoT, the idea of having to make an authenticated cloud connection before a local one could help.  Some sort of certificate or other zero trusty method to make sure that the devices truly know who each other are would be great.  I know it would cost money, but is some standard were developed, it could be cheap and effective.  Maybe a little less magical, since it wouldn't "just work", but it also would be less likely to "just be pwned".