Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
luriep
Viewer III

Recommendations for (reasonably secure) home security cameras?

Hi all, 

Looking to see if anyone has managed to find a home-level security camera that records on motion or 24x7, that permits me to look at the recording/streaming (but hopefully nobody else).  IR is a great plus. 

Every review I find seems to say how awful the device's security actually is.  I asked one vendor if they have an external security audit and got laughed at... Does a reasonably secure one exist?  I'd love to run one in my own cloud instance, but that sounds like too much to ask for... Pointers to reviews or recommendations are much appreciated. 

Thanks

pete

2 Replies
cindelicato
Contributor I

I am following this because I share the interest.   

The very least I can offer is a reminder to always segregate such devices to their own subnet.  

robinfoprotech
Newcomer I

Hi, I've had a look at the Ring suite of products, they started with the video doorbell but now do a wide range of stuff to cover many needs.  The reason I found them was because I needed a camera that would work in an area covered by Wifi with no power available.  I read through a few reviews that were all very positive so I got one to test.  The camera itself is powered by dual li-ion batteries (comes with one) and claims upto 6 months+ battery life.  The camera has IR and spotlight with adjustable motion and 24x7 cloud access as long as you have reliable wifi.  I've used the camera for a while now and the picture and IR/motion is great, the light at night and the IR both give a good picture.  The range of the motion detection is ok but it does struggle past 5m.  The reviews for the cameras are 4+/5 on google and heres a couple reviews:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/3/17530782/ring-alarm-security-system-smart-home-review-price-featur...

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review/security-cameras/ring-floodlight-cam-3675210/

Hope this was helpul, feel free to drop me a kudos for a badge 😉