Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ericgeater
Community Champion

Kali: Virtual Box or Dual-boot?

I've inherited a slim PC and upgraded to a 1TB SSD.  It's my study / work / play PC.  I want to add Kali to it, but can't decide whether to run it virtually inside Windows, or dualboot.

Only 6gb of RAM, and it's a Core i5 7g.  Leaning toward dualboot.  Talk me down if you've got a good story!

--
"A claim is as good as its veracity."
15 Replies
4d4m
Newcomer III

That is handy to know, got two 32GB SD cards ready to play with Kali and the pi4 later... thanks

ericgeater
Community Champion

Is this the way you use the Kali distro?  This looks pretty cool.

--
ericgeater
Community Champion

That sounds like an advanced use of Kali.  I just downloaded it.  Maybe in a year or two?

--
4d4m
Newcomer III

All up and running with the Pi4 (4GB RAM) and Kali, nice and quick and using the 7" touch screen. NMAP etc. all running and it is very quick.

But, this is quite a cut-down experience, don't think all tools are included. I used the RPI file from Kali and balenaEtcher to write the SD card.

Not sure if other images on Kali downloads have more tools included for ARM and haven't tried adding additional.

Certainly not something to use for a real world scenario, but just playing around for learning is cool. Maybe others have gone further.

AppDefects
Community Champion

@4d4m wrote:

All up and running with the Pi4 (4GB RAM) and Kali, nice and quick and using the 7" touch screen. NMAP etc. all running and it is very quick.

That was fast! Welcome to club Kali!

Martini
Newcomer I

I use Kali in a VM. you can also take quick screenshots of the VM for documentation purposes...