Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ericgeater
Community Champion

Improving email communication behavior (or, "Be the change you want to see")

Your users endure year after year of Security Awareness Training which repeatedly say, "Don't click on links / attachments", or "[insert your org's preferred response to UCE here], then delete".  And year after year, campaign after campaign, people still click on links and open attachments.

A question I recently read on LI said it's hard to counter this behavior because HR (or legal, or finance, or whomever!) constantly send messages which subvert the SAT.  Which is to say, that users should not really be held at fault when using such mediums exactly as they're intended to work.

It's unfortunate for users who are repeatedly told to NOT CLICK, and then receive official communication which FORCE CLICKING.  So I'd like to hear ideas on changing behaviors so that both SENDERS and RECIPIENTS adhere to something safer.

What does your enterprise do (in terms of policy, controls, communication) to shift behaviors?

--
"A claim is as good as its veracity."
9 Replies
ericgeater
Community Champion

This is the LI post, for those who'd like to read and respond:

Post | LinkedIn

--
tmekelburg1
Community Champion

Honestly, I can't complain about our SATE program because it has lowered the click rate to almost zero on our monthly phishing campaigns. We have a mandatory annual video training and weekly security reminders emailed out to keep it top of mind. Telling them not to click doesn't work but telling them to stop, think, then click is an effective strategy for success here. Can't wait to hear what others have to say!  

gidyn
Contributor III

Do your mail server or endpoint management allow you to disable all mail links?
tmekelburg1
Community Champion

@gidyn I mean...it has a power button as well. We could always go that route and see what happens. 😉

In all seriousness though, I've seen some replace the actual link with a safe link. I believe it was an O365 security setting that did it. 

ericgeater
Community Champion

@tmekelburg1 when you say "safe link" do you mean that every link is automatically sandboxed and tested, or all links are forcibly made neutral, and may only be sent through explicit permissions?

--
gidyn
Contributor III

tmekelburg1
Community Champion

I can't say exactly since it's not my system on what it does but here's an example screenshot. It keeps the original text of the link but when you hover over it, it shows this:

tmekelburg1_0-1670591281048.png

It redirects to the original link after clicking on it.

Edit: Looks like Defender for O365 after looking into it more. Proofpoint probably does something very similar as @gidyn suggested.

denbesten
Community Champion

@ericgeater wrote:

..."safe link" do you mean that every link is automatically sandboxed and tested, ....

Kinda this.  We have one of these at my employer.  Links in our emails are replaced with unique links to the safe link web site.  When somebody clicks on a link, the safe link site scans the real page and "proxies" its content to the user, much like any web-browser url filtering product would do.  

The purported good:

• Links get "security scanned" regardless of web-browser config.
  • Scanning is delayed until use, so one benefits from knowledge gained between the time of mail-sending and mail-reading (e.g. if it was blasted to many safe link customers).

The bad:

• It is more difficult for users to visually inspect URLs
  • More complexity, more money, etc.

ericgeater
Community Champion

Looks like @gidyn and @tmekelburg1 have shown some useful controls.  Excellent, and thank you.  Those are useful because they can thwart the behavior of an unwitting user.  And I saw that training is definitely key.  Totally agree there.

--