Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CISOScott
Community Champion

Harassment/Extortion faxing attempts

This is in the US. Has anyone else seen this lately? A non fax (facsimile) phone number is getting repeated calls from a "fax" machine. If you answer the phone, the fax just makes noise. If you call the "fax" number back you are greeted with a message that if you want to stop getting these fax calls, go to their website and click on "Do not Fax". (I did not go to the website)

Our phone system guy says we cannot block the number. We are a commercial entity with many phone numbers in our environment so it is not just one phone number affected (like a personal cell phone).

Multiple people have reported the number on a reverse phone look up as Spam/Scam.

As a security person I can see multiple avenues for this leading to a scam or infection point.

Just wondering if this is a new tactic or an old one that has been revived.

3 Replies
EchelonVigil
Newcomer II

You're right, this may be a new tactic. Phishing scams can come in various flavors. If you're interested in testing the site, you could use the link provided below. Virustotal will scan the link for any known issues and will brief you if there's something to worry about.

VirusTotal - Home

Hope this helps!

leekimjd
Newcomer III

You can also consider reporting this to the FTC (via its Sentinel network). https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/consumer-sentinel-network Depending on the nature of the scam, you may also want to report it to the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3.gov) or talk with someone at your local FBI field office (or law enforcement in your jurisdiction) (based upon the circumstances and as appropriate).

Lee Kim

2024 ISC2 board candidate

www.linkedin.com/in/leekim

ericgeater
Community Champion

I think it's a revival.  My previous employer also experienced something similar -- and our carrier said the same thing about the inability to block numbers.

Looking through my skeptical spectacles, I'm dying to know why a unified telephone system doesn't allow you to create a dead-list of problem TNs.  

-----------
A claim is as good as its veracity.