Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AppDefects
Community Champion

FBI Social Media Monitoring

Can you say Minority Report ? The FBI is looking for an "early alerting tool" that would help it monitor "pre-crime" and among other things: terrorist groups, domestic threats, and suspected criminal activity. The tool would provide the FBI with full "subscription access" to social media profiles of Persons-of-Interest. The RFP is a good read, but saying upfront requirements like "no onsite coverage for events on statutory holidays" kind of sends the wrong message... Watch this one to see who bids!

1 Reply
Scottmage
Newcomer I

They say that hindsight is 20/20 - I disagree because I see people continue to make mistakes over and over again.

Fort Hood - The finding of the team after the Fort Hood massacre stated that all of the signs were on the Major's personal web site, however, due to people wanting to be "PC" no one did anything about it.

If they had removed anything that would indicate who was posting and brought it to the Base JAG, Counter-Terrorism, Military Police and let them read it - there was just cause to bring him in at the least under the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ) under Article 133: Conduct Unbecoming and Officer. Penalty up to 1 year in prison (Fort Leavenworth - a real prison, where you make big rocks into little rocks) and a dishonorable discharge from the military.

Even if someone was monitoring that and U.S. Army Criminal Investigations Division (CID) sent someone to keep an eye on the Major - 13 people would still be alive. So, I have no problem with it.

Since if nothing comes of a person ranting about something and never acting on it - the FBI will not publish that the individual is being watched. I have been on the other end of this type of intelligence and I would rather be ready that trouble might be coming than to be caught unaware.

It is not like they will arrest and try someone one something they might do like in Minority Report after all. It takes decades for lawmakers to catch up to where we are at with the bad guys.