Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AppDefects
Community Champion

Do We Need "New IP"?

A number of recent publications have addressed Huawei’s proposal for a new internet-like architecture, called “New IP”, which aims to develop a set of protocols that could replace the current Internet. RIPE NCC believes that any evolution of the Internet should be left to the IETF. Here is the official ITU response. The New IP proposal was described as the Chinese government's attempt to export and impose its autocratic views onto the rest of the internet and its infrastructure. Authoritarian countries like Iran, Russia, and Saudi Arabia expressed support for the proposal. Financial Times article is here.

1 Reply
CraginS
Defender I

@AppDefects wrote:

A number of recent publications have addressed Huawei’s proposal for a new internet-like architecture, called “New IP”, which aims to develop a set of protocols that could replace the current Internet. RIPE NCC believes that any evolution of the Internet should be left to the IETF. Here is the official ITU response. The New IP proposal was described as the Chinese government's attempt to export and impose its autocratic views onto the rest of the internet and its infrastructure. Authoritarian countries like Iran, Russia, and Saudi Arabia expressed support for the proposal. Financial Times article is here.

It appears that the the response link above is not the ITU response, rather it is the RIPE NCC response to the ITU on the Huawei proposal. Excellent of RIPE to make their ITU input public, and even more so their position win rejecting the proposal to change Internet governance to a top down model.The NEW IP proposal appears to have generated a lot of input to ITU on the proposal and related propose standards. The ITU submission documents I tried on that linked ITU page require a TIE User account, which requires a submission and approval process. 

I do not know if it is worth applying for that account, or if possible to obtain without an enterprise (corporate, government, to NGO) status.

In the meantime, if any members here have a way to contact members of the ITU Telecommunications Standardization Sector, please push them to reject the Huawei Network 2030 New IP proposal!

Craig

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts