Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sandman77004
Newcomer I

Business Continuity Plan

Hello - does anyone have a BCP that they are willing to share?  I am trying to put one together for a healthcare organization, but it's my first one so want to make sure I am on the right track.  Thank you!

10 Replies
CraginS
Defender I

@sandman77004 wrote:

Hello - does anyone have a BCP that they are willing to share?  I am trying to put one together for a healthcare organization, but it's my first one so want to make sure I am on the right track.  Thank you!

Sandy,

What is your baseline of knowledge on BCP processes and plans? What research and study have you done on the topic? Letting community member know your starting point may help provide you with a more helpful discussion and guidance.

If you are hoping to see any old BCP and use it as boilerplate for your organization's version you are likely to miss some essential aspects.

Good luck! This is an important and often overlooked area, especially for small businesses.

Craig

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
sandman77004
Newcomer I

Hi Dr. Shelton 

Thank you for your reply and feedback.  I am brand new and still in the beginning stages of research on the topic, so thought I'd get some feedback from the more seasoned members.  I so understand what you mean and will definitely continue my research and update as I move forward.  Best - Sandy

rslade
Influencer II

Complete in one page:

BCP cycle.PNG

Other posts: https://community.isc2.org/t5/forums/recentpostspage/user-id/1324864413

This message may or may not be governed by the terms of
http://www.noticebored.com/html/cisspforumfaq.html#Friday or
https://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/1468
sandman77004
Newcomer I

Thank you!

Caute_cautim
Community Champion

@sandman77004    The starting point should be the creation of a Business Impact Analysis (BIA) through questionnaires and interviews with owners of the affected assets.

Regards

Caute_cautim

Neil2094
Newcomer I

Hello,

Creating a BCP can be a very daunting task and you should bare in mind that your BCP will go through various interations so do not worry about getting it right first time.

I am not sure of your location, however for some guidance give: JSP 503 5th Edition a guidance it is a little old, published 2011 but it is the MOD (UK) on the implementation of a business continuity plan. There is a lot of information into how to successfully implement a BCP

Steve-Wilme
Advocate II

Have a look at BS22301 and its forerunner 25999, as they'll provide a lot of the background to BCP.  There are also some reasonable resources from IT Governance on BCP.  Your first step is probably to map out a programme of work and business case to get the funding/resources to work through that plan.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Steve Wilme CISSP-ISSAP, ISSMP MCIIS
CraginS
Defender I

@CraginS wrote:

@sandman77004 wrote:

Sandy,

What is your baseline of knowledge on BCP processes and plans? What research and study have you done on the topic? ...

Thanks to all who provided specific references to help Sandy with this project. This is exactly what I had hoped would happen here. 

Sandy,

In BCP, like many planning activities (strategic planning also comes to mind) the process is more important than the plan that process generates on any given any day. Having guides on what questions to ask, who to ask, who to get directly involved, what obscure details become important, how to prioritize different possible events, even how often to review and revise are all important to developing an ongoing "living" plan that will actually be useful if ever executed. In fact, training for both the planning staff and the identified continuity activity participants, and exercising parts of the plan on a recurring basis are critical to being able to keep the right activities continuing operations when under duress.

Grandpa Rob @rslade provided an interesting chart, to suggest actions and participants, but even that will need some backside understanding of how to use it. Others, @Caute_cautim @Neil2094 @Steve-Wilme  have each presented references of standards and guides that are likely to be key in understanding a robust BCP process. There are also BCP professional organizations and journals that may also help. I am not current on those resources, so maybe others can add such to this thread.

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
Steve-Wilme
Advocate II

The Business Continuity Institute https://www.thebci.org/ is also worth consulting.

The used to run interesting courses and competitions for simulated BC scenarios.  

-----------------------------------------------------------
Steve Wilme CISSP-ISSAP, ISSMP MCIIS