I have a file server and it takes 6 days to finish AV full scan on the file server. In this case, what is the best practice to do AV scan? Weekly full scan? just real-time scan?
Please share your experience. Thanks
Im sure you will get a variety of responses here, but my preferred course of action:
1) full file scan at initial setup of file server or installation of AV.
2) real time scan at all times
3) a smart file scan performed weekly in the early hours of the morning when usage is minimal.
Hope this helps.
Thank you for the reply and please see my answers below:
1. Performance doesn't matter.
2. SEP is running so there are many scanning options.
3. We haven't tried another product, but we assume it will be the same.
4. Yes, we can. Like I said, it takes 6 days for full scanning.
Another thing to take into consideration, especially with "file servers". I would look at file types to ensure they are all business related.
I have run across several instances where our file servers were nearing capacity, roaming accounts took "forever" to load, etc. When we did a quick search of file types we found that people were using the file servers for their own repository of music files, video files and yes, even some movies. When we went in and removed all of these "extra" files it seems our performance improved.